Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Since AOPS has been recommended several times here, I am posting the following announcement of a free "Math Jam" happening tomorrow evening.

-------------------------------------------------------------

On Wednesday, May 18, at 7:30 PM ET (4:30 PM PT), we will host a free Math Jam to discuss our summer online courses. In the Math Jam, we will work through a few sample problems, and then we will answer any questions you may have about specific courses or about how our online classes work.

The following classes will start in June, including our new course Mathematical Tapas, an exploration of higher mathematics designed for students with a strong background in high school math.

Introduction level (Grades 6-10):

Algebra 1
    Introduction to Counting & Probability
    Introduction to Number Theory
    Algebra 2
    Introduction to Geometry
    MATHCOUNTS/AMC 8 Basics
    Advanced MATHCOUNTS/AMC 8
    Introduction to Programming

Intermediate level (Grades 8-12):

Algebra 3
    Intermediate Number Theory Seminar
    AMC 10 Problem Series
    AMC 12 Problem Series
    AIME Problem Series A
    AIME Problem Series B

Advanced:

Mathematical Tapas

Most of these online courses meet weekly, at 7:30 - 9 PM ET (4:30 - 6 PM PT). For dates, times, and more information on the courses, visit

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/School/classlist.php

If you have any questions about any Art of Problem Solving classes, please contact us at classes@artofproblemsolving.com.

All of our Math Jams are free. To join the Math Jam, please log on to www.artofproblemsolving.com using your Art of Problem Solving username about 10 minutes before the Math Jam begins, then click on the Classroom bar that appears near the top of the site. More information about the Math Jams can be found here:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/School/mathjams.php

Our courses offer full transcripts for each class, so if you're going to miss some classes, you'll still have access to everything that happened in class. Moreover, you'll be able to use the class message board to ask any questions you have outside of class time.

Sincerely,

Richard Rusczyk

Last edited by Bostonian; 05/17/11 11:19 AM.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    C
    C
    For those of you who have used AOPS, do you have any input on the intro to geometry class? I may well sign up for this math jam if I can be home when it is happening. I'm wondering for dd12 for whom math is decidely not her strong subject.

She's done well with being young for grade and a single full grade skip in terms of math placement. She took accelerated Algebra I this year as an 8th grader and got an A, but she really doesn't pick up math intuitively. Seeing what dd10 did in her 6th grade math class this past year in a different district, I am a little concerned that dd12 hasn't been adequately prepared to high school math. Dd10's 6th grade math came pretty close to hitting on 1/2 of what dd12 covered in 8th grade math. Dd12 will be moving to the same district as dd10 next fall for high school.

Since she takes a bit longer to pick up on math concepts, I don't want her going into Geometry in high school without a really good foundation. What I'm wondering is whether taking intro to Geometry over the summer might be a good set up and whether it would be appropriate for a 12 y/o who is quite good at math if you compare her to the avg kid but for whom it is a personal weakness as compared to other areas where she is a natural?

C
    C
    Now that I've looked at their website, I'm seeing that the summer classes run until December, so that probably won't work for her since she'll be starting school in August. Would it be worth just getting the book or would there be another better way to make sure she's prepared going into high school geometry? I actually think she might like geometry better than algebra.

While she learned quadratic equations this year, it was more rote memorization which seems to make it hard to internalize the steps b/c they aren't personally meaningful.

Also, I think AOPS Geometry is very very challenging. They cite it as the most challenging of the intro courses they teach.

Do you think she might enjoy doing the Alcumus database of Algebra questions? They would take what she has learned and put a spin on it.

I think I'll try out LIfe of Fred Geometry for dd for this summer. It looks like a relaxed intro.

Last edited by herenow; 05/17/11 07:13 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM