Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Finally, we had our 2nd child (DD 6) tested this morning and the psychologist just called us back with her scores:

VCI 112 79%
    PRI 145 99.9%
    WMI 126 96%
    PSI 123 94%
    FSIQ 135 99%

I don't have her subtests scores yet, but she did hit ceiling in 3 subtests.

The psychologist noted that our DD is very risk averse, and she would not give an answer unless she's absolutely sure that she's right. That's why the VCI score is much lower and does not represent her true ability. Because of the discrepancy between PRI and VCI, the FSIQ score is meaningless.

Also, even though her first language is English, we also speak Indonesian and Chinese at home

We were surprised by the results. We did not expect her PRI to be this high, nor her VCI to be this low. She's reading Charlotte's Web several times, and has no trouble reading Little House on the Prairie. She doesn't have any issue at school. She's very happy in her class and her teacher is excellent.

What should we make of this result? Should we consider WIAT test, too?

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by Cocopandan
    What should we make of this result? Should we consider WIAT test, too?
    Wow - those are really strong test scores. I would consider the WIAT or WJ-Ach and apply to DYS if you are in the U.S.

I think that the achievement testing will help confirm that the Verbal subtest are an underestimate, but you don't really need it unless a DYS application is part of the plan.

It's great that your DD is happy at school. As long as she continues to be willing to try new/difficult academic tasks when the opportunity happens, then you are in great shape for now. On the other hand, your DD's unwillingness to answer questions she isn't sure of the answer could be a result of the enforced underachievement she is subjected to at school. Some kids react to the stress of never being challenged at school by getting very risk adverse and taking on the role of the one who always answers exactly correctly. In that case, achievement testing and considering some kind of modification to allow her to get more normal exposure to the process of learning might be a very good thing.

From observing my growing up family, myself and 3 younger brothers, I think that gifted younger siblings of one or more gifted older sibling are protected from feeling 'like Aliens' by having their 'home cluster group.'

Is your school in one of those locations where there are unusually high numbers of Gifted Kids? If so, that could also be helping.

If in doubt, spend some time observing the classroom in action. Do you get the sense that your daughter is learning good work ethic, and getting emotionally comfortable with the bit of struggle that involves working to tackle a learning challenge, compared to the other kids her age?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi Grinity,

Our oldest, DS10, just got accepted into DYS a little over 2 weeks ago (after your and Dottie's encouragement to apply! smile. After having our son tested last September, we debated for a long time whether we should have our DD6 tested. With advice of many parents in this wonderful forum, we decided to take the plunge.

We notice that DS6 is not as verbal as our youngest one, but that's because our youngest (DS5) is just ridiculously verbal. DS6 didn't seem to have any issues at school at all. She used to be very quiet, but now that it's her second year in the same classroom with the same teacher (combo K-1), she's opened up a lot. The teacher and many other parents have commented on how she's changed, and talks / participates more (but then so does all the first graders). She seldom raises her hands to answer questions, but whenever prodded by the teacher, or if asked directly, she would answer correctly.

Her teacher is wonderful. She works with her students at their levels. About half of the first graders in her class have been working on at least 2nd grade level on language arts and math. Our school requires weekly parent participation, so I'm in there at least 2 hours a week, sometimes more.

Among her siblings, DS6 is the most persistent one. She doesn't give up easily. She may be crying out of frustration, but she wouldn't quit and would eventually get it done, whether it's Singapore Math, abacus, or violin playing.

In researching about discrepancy between PRI and VCI, I came across information that if the discrepancy is higher than 19 pts, further investigation might be needed. Will achievement test resolve this?

We'll probably apply to DYS, but I'm hoping to include her portfolio unless they request more info. Here we go again ...

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you for your thoughts, Dottie and Grinity (hugs). I will talk to her teacher tomorrow and see what she has to say. We happen to have an appointment with the principal this week to talk about our son's acceleration next year. I'll mention about DD's WISC and ask him about administering WIAT for DD.

Her teacher is wonderful. She works with her students at their levels. About half of the first graders in her class have been working on at least 2nd grade level on language arts and math. Our school requires weekly parent participation, so I'm in there at least 2 hours a week, sometimes more.

Among her siblings, DS6 is the most persistent one. She doesn't give up easily. She may be crying out of frustration, but she wouldn't quit and would eventually get it done, whether it's Singapore Math, abacus, or violin playing.

It all sounds very good! Just keep an eye on her willingness to branch out into new areas of challenge. As long as that stays 'reasonable' then it seems all is well. It sounds like she has a great teacher and a strong group of classmates!

Great to hear it -
    Grinity

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    It all sounds very good! Just keep an eye on her willingness to branch out into new areas of challenge. As long as that stays 'reasonable' then it seems all is well. It sounds like she has a great teacher and a strong group of classmates!

Hi Grinity,

Yes, so far so good. She will get a new teacher in the fall and new classmates. Things may change quickly next year... I'm crossing my fingers.

This is also what convinced us to test her now while she's happy at school. And, boy was she happy! Yesterday during the break, she was all smile and her eyes lighted up. I didn't know that WISC test could be so fun grin

And, boy was she happy! Yesterday during the break, she was all smile and her eyes lighted up. I didn't know that WISC test could be so fun grin
    Very Wise to test her while she's happy. We tested DS in the middle of 2nd grade - his worst year ever, and the tester said that the scores were likely to be an underestimate.

DS also felt that his WISC test day was 'the best day of his life.' I'm sure this isn't true for everyone, but he is attention-loving and challenge-loving, so there it is!

Glad that your DD had fun,
    Grinity

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM