Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    jojo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Down Under we subject every child to standardised testing in reading, numeracy, language conventions and writing in years 3,5,7 and 9. My girls did the testing for the first time this year. Here's what I learned:

* testing is tiring because it is a break in normal, everyday routine. Expect dramas and meltdowns afterschool.
    * in reading comprehension (when you read a passage of text and then answer a series of multiple choice questions afterwards)... some kids think it's cheating if you look back at the text when you're answering the questions...
    * your writing is as good as the question you get on the day. There may be no correlation between what you produce in a test and your actual writing skill.
    * even rational, sane parents who understand the strengths and limitations of standardised testing - who acknowledge and understand all the reasons why their gifted child might bomb - still get really, really anxious about standardised testing. Stock up on chocolate eek

Hoorah! It's over for another 2 years!!!

jojo

Whew! that stuff is always very difficult, and around here we wait months to ever see how kids do...hope they did ok and did not stress too bad. We are about to go into standard tests pretty soon here. My son is forever coming up with things like 'gotta do all the math work in my head', similar to the idea of looking at a reading passage twice being 'cheating'...yikes! these guys can be so hard on themselves.

M
    M
    We are also in Australia, but my DS is in Year 4 this year.

It is a long wait for the results, but for us, it was very mixed. My gifted child scored under the state average for maths, but is working 2-3 years ahead at school. Not sure what happened there, but it doesn't look great. It was very interesting to see what his results actually were for English. the school consider that his weak subject and he floored them with his results. It actually was beneficial for us.

Good luck

J
    jojo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Yep, I think we too will get very mixed results and unlikely to reflect ability in the least! Sounds like DD9's highest score was in language conventions - ha! - not usually a strength. And I have no idea how DD6 went. Thankfully it's OVER for another 2 years...

jojo

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM