Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 296 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I had previously read this essay and do not agree with it.

I can see this point. If I understand it, the Calculus Trap article argues that students should be "learning how to take tools they have and apply them to complex problems."

What I don't get here is that calculus does exactly that: you have to use existing tools (algebra, geometry, arithmetic) and apply them to complex problems ("How many miles did you travel from 2 pm to 6 pm if your velocity could be described according to this formula: <insert quadratic equation>?" "A farmer has 168 meters of fencing and wants to maximize the area of a rectangular corral. What should its dimensions be?"). Etc.

Originally Posted by Calculus Trap
    Another danger of the calculus trap is social. Aside from the obvious perils of placing a 15 year old in a social environment of 19 year olds....

Since when? 1979 or so? High schools have been offering calculus for decades.

If ever you are by far the best, or the most interested, student in a classroom, then you should find another classroom.

Huh? So if you're good at math you can't take a math class that you'll really like? Umm. confused frown

If you're really into mathematics, you can join the Math Olympiad club, which meets after school on Tuesdays and Fridays. And your calculus will probably help you a lot, given that getting a calc problem right usually requires combining all sorts of other knowledge.

My closest friends now are doctors, bond traders, consultants, lawyers, professors, artists, and so on. Some are religious, some aren�t. Some are athletic, some aren�t. The common thread among them all is that they all enjoy using their minds. ... I met them through extracurriculars... The top athletes don�t take PE in school, or even PE in the nearby college.

What in Robert's name does this have to do with taking calculus? The author seems to be implying that taking calculus is anathema to learning to enjoy using your mind. So, all the automatons are calc class, while the really interesting kids are in study hall counting the minutes to math club?

Any really good athlete I've ever met enrolled in one or more PE classes. I expect that many of them learned that they had talent for something in PE class. Unless they had their own high jump sets at home. Some of them majored in it. PE is a great break from sitting at a desk.

Last edited by Val; 05/12/11 10:55 AM. Reason: Clarity
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Val
    I can see this point. If I understand it, the Calculus Trap article argues that students should be "learning how to take tools they have and apply them to complex problems."

What I don't get here is that calculus does exactly that: you have to use existing tools (algebra, geometry, arithmetic) and apply them to complex problems ("How many miles did you travel from 2 pm to 6 pm if your velocity could be described according to this formula: <insert quadratic equation>?" "A farmer has 168 meters of fencing and wants to maximize the area of a rectangular corral. What should its dimensions be?"). Etc.
    No, those are not complex problems in the way that the article means. If you understand the tools taught in calculus, they are absolutely routine: no thought required, beyond a routine translation of words into symbols. The Calculus Trap is exactly people's unthinking assumption that calculus must be challenging because it comes last at school. It isn't, as taught at school; it's easy and unchallenging, and there are many more useful things for young mathematicians to spend their time on.

[ETA if I sound bitter, this may explain: have I mentioned that DS7 has fallen into the calculus trap somehow - that is, he thinks learning calculus will somehow make him grown up - and is determined that he's doing that next? He'll get challenged, though, I shall see to that, bwahaha...]

Last edited by ColinsMum; 05/12/11 11:47 AM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I agree with Colinsmum. That article is by Richard Rusczyk. He is founder of AoPS and a guy writing some of the best math textbooks for smart kids. He argues that most kids never encounter hard problems in typical school environments. In my experience as a child and a parent, that has been true, even with enrichment, multi-year subject acceleration, and GT math classes. Math Olympiad at elementary level hasn't offered my children the kind of challenge offered by AoPS. The level of problems with AoPS courses or higher level math tests require great problem solving skills. If there is never a problem that isn't obvious (which was definitely my experience in school math before college), then a student has no chance to learn those skills. Like most skills, problem solving increases with practice. Like much of GT research, AoPS takes the approach that a kid ought to encounter difficult things and learn from working through mistakes and struggling with unsuccessful attempts rather than do repetitive easy problems in typical textbooks.

The problem sets in their classes are really hard. They often require trial and error, thinking through many different steps, considering deeply whether one possible solution meets every criteria demanded by the problem, etc. They don't expect all or even most students to be able to get them all right, which means a talented kid has more room to grow. Since I see most of the beauty in math as coming from the hard stuff rather than the plug-and-chug, I think this approach is most likely to hold the interest of a talented math kid.

I have no connection to AoPS, but I admire their program and their approach to math. In all the GT-friendly things my children have done, I see AoPS as coming closest to offering exactly what they needed for the reasons Rusczyk expresses in the calculus trap.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    No, those are not complex problems in the way that the article means. If you understand the tools taught in calculus, they are absolutely routine: no thought required, beyond a routine translation of words into symbols. The Calculus Trap is exactly people's unthinking assumption that calculus must be challenging because it comes last at school. It isn't, as taught at school; it's easy and unchallenging, and there are many more useful things for young mathematicians to spend their time on.

I disagree about calculus in general, but agree that maths as taught in schools puts too much emphasis on superficial stuff.

But this situation isn't calculus's fault. Calculus is a beautiful mathematical achievement, and the fact that schools dumb it down is an argument for better teaching and better schools that actually present challenging material to capable students.

Yeah, pipe dream. I know.

Last edited by Val; 05/12/11 01:09 PM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    [quote=mark][quote=Bostonian]
    I had previously read this essay and do not agree with it. Most people who are very good at math are not going to be mathematicians but will use it as a tool. Calculus is a useful tool, and if a student takes calculus earlier, he will be able to take a "real" physics or economics course earlier. I have bought an AOPS algebra book, and if my son uses other AOPS books, including the one on calculus, that should alleviate the problem of alleged shallowness.
    Having fallen into it myself, I definitely do agree with it and am working to avoid it with my kids. That said, my intent there was not to criticize you, but just to call attention to a different point of view.

Originally Posted by Val
    I disagree about calculus in general, but agree that maths as taught in schools puts too much emphasis on superficial stuff.

But this situation isn't calculus's fault. Calculus is a beautiful mathematical achievement, and the fact that schools dumb it down is an argument for better teaching and better schools that actually present challenging material to capable students.

Yeah, pipe dream. I know.
    I wouldn't take the name of the Calculus Trap as meaning any disrespect for calculus as a subject.

Last edited by mark; 05/12/11 04:22 PM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent