Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #101565 05/06/11 12:50 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    It seems there are plenty of resources re: subtests of the WISC, SB, WPPSI, even practice questions?? (really?) ...but I don't see any information re: the RIAS and it's subtests. Why? Is it a newer test?
    The testingmom.com site has a ton of resources, none for RIAS. Before my child sits down with a stranger, I'd like to know the type of things he's going to face (NOT to try and test prep him...my child would never let me "test" him anyways, but to know if this is something I want to pursue at all).
    Anyone out there know the details on this test?

C
    C
    I don't know if there are materials that talk about the RIAS subtests, but I guess that I wouldn't worry about knowing what they are ahead of time. I did find it useful to know about the subtests of the WISC after my dds had taken it so I could better understand how they scored and maybe why. But, ahead of time would have done me or them no good unless I intended to prep them which, as you mention, isn't your intent.

Cricket2 #101583 05/06/11 07:33 PM
    A
    A
    I really don't think the RIAS would be terribly prep-able. The verbal subtests look at the ability to make connections and draw inferences among verbal prompts, so, while a good vocabulary helps, prep that is not "g" dependent, such as memorizing vocabulary words, is probably not going to have a dramatic impact. The non-verbal items likewise require reasoning about similarities, differences, and relationships between and among visual items.

I fail to see why anyone would want to spend the time and money to prep their child so they could get a deliberately inaccurate evaluation of their child's intellectual profile, but I know that there are a lot of parents who seem to think that getting an artificially inflated score and using it to put their children in placements that are too hard is somehow doing their kids a favor. They don't realize that they are not only doing their own children a disservice, but they are potentially harming other children who scored similarly but without prep, who really would thrive in such placements, but who might be denied entrance because of the programs' previous experience with children who were placed based on similar but prepped scores.

Descriptions of the RIAS subtests can be found here, starting on page 101.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by flrunner_girl
    ...to know if this is something I want to pursue at all).
    I do realize that my prior reply might have come across as abrupt and apologize if so. I wasn't intending to insinuate that you were intending to prep your dc.

This quote from your post, though, had me thinking -- why are you pursuing testing and why the RIAS? I think that, if you can answer those questions, you'd have the answer you are seeking as to whether to pursue the testing. If your ds needs the scores for some program, is this the only test they take? Is there a reason why you're not going with a more well known IQ test? None of that is to say that the RIAS isn't a good choice, but the WISC or SB might be better known and accepted.

eta: now that I've bothered to look at your prior posts blush , I do see your motivation in testing. It is hard when we feel like our dc can do more than they are and I understand not wanting a child to fail to progress adequately due to lack of challenge. I guess, in your spot, I'd be inclined to just go with the SB-V because it is better known and you can do it now rather than waiting until he is six like you would have to for the WISC. I'd also see what you can do in terms of heading off similar problems to what you had with the WPPSI. Talk to the new psych ahead of time, explain what went wrong with the WPPSI and make sure that she has a plan to engage him and not let him see what she's circling in terms of scoring.

Last edited by Cricket2; 05/06/11 07:49 PM.
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Cricket2, I appreciate your thoughts and the fact that you took the time to read my prior posts to understand where I was coming from/why I was asking, thank you.

re: aculady's response above...."I fail to see why anyone would want to spend the time and money to prep their child so they could get a deliberately inaccurate evaluation of their child's intellectual profile, but I know that there are a lot of parents who seem to think that getting an artificially inflated score and using it to put their children in placements that are too hard is somehow doing their kids a favor. They don't realize that they are not only doing their own children a disservice, but they are potentially harming other children who scored similarly but without prep, who really would thrive in such placements, but who might be denied entrance because of the programs' previous experience with children who were placed based on similar but prepped scores."

I don't know if you are directing this at me or stating a general opinion, but it felt like a slap in the face.
    I am new to this site, I came here for support and further knowledge, nothing more.
    I would like set a few things straight:
    1. I was not choosing the test, the psychologist was. Why she was choosing this one over the SB-V, I do not know. (HENCE, why I am trying to educate myself on the exam-not much is known about it.). Nothing has definitively been chosen yet, when I meet with her I'd like to be well educated on both exams so I can have an intelligent conversation about the assessment process.
    2. Due to class size amendments in our state (18 to a class), starting a GT program is highly competitive. While gifted testing is NOT a requirement, it does guarantee your child has a place in the program year to year (pending academic progress of course.)
    3. My child was invited to be in the GT program for kindergarten but the teacher for that class was NOT what I envisioned for kindergarten-NO class parties allowed, no participation with the other kindergarten classes for holidays, no creative projects/center activities. (we ARE talking about 5 year olds here).
    We chose for our very bright child to enjoy being a child--and chose a regular kindergarten class. I am proud to say my child is well adjusted, has confidence, and is happy. Now at the end of kindergarten, we are looking for him to start the GT program for 1st grade. This teacher realizes and embraces the fact that bright children are still children and knows how to encompass both fun & challenging class work. Therefore, we are considering testing to ensure he will be in her class. (remember, 18 children were in that GT kindergarten class... the competition for an outsider would be intense, therefore having test scores to back a child's entrance would secure a spot.)

It is a very sad day when a parent has to choose between embracing the wonderment and fun of childhood vs. challenging academics, but it is what it is.

A
    A
    Oh, no! I am so, so, sorry if you felt that I was saying that you were going to use this to prep your child. I was mostly responding to your comments in the initial request expressing surprise about the wide availability of practice problems and other "test prep" information on sites like testingmoms, and to the initial suspicion that your request here was greeted with. I answered your question about why there isn't much information out there on the RIAS: because it isn't amenable to "gaming". I was actually commiserating with you. I also wanted to be sure that, in the event that someone who WAS looking for "prep" information happened across the thread later on, reasons why using this information in that way is a bad idea were in close proximity to the information on the nature of the test.

I went and found you the link to the information that you asked for, which I certainly wouldn't have done if I thought you were going to misuse it, so I thought it would be clear that I understood your desire to have more information so that you could make an informed decision, and that I didn't think that you were in the group of parents who would try to use the information improperly. I had read your post about the first testing session, and I really felt for you. I think it is ridiculous that gifted programs operate on a competitive basis instead of on an entitlement basis. Again, I am very sorry you felt criticized. I hope the link was helpful.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Whew. Thanks for clarifying. It did confuse me that you'd give me the link but make mention of that. Yes, the link was VERY helpful-that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
    It really stinks that we each have to go to such lengths to advocate for our kids-no matter where they are re: intelligence.

I think my hesitancy to any of the testing is a. my child is very strong willed (he refused to participate w/ the first psych..see my prior posts for that disaster) and b. that I would hate to be thought of as a parent who "bought their score"/"bought their way into a program"---I've even heard some moms (with kids in the GAT K class this year) boast that they don't have to worry about staying in the program b/c they've "already bought their score" (makes my stomach turn..) Can't imagine what college admissions/SAT testing will be like. wink
    Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there advocating for their babies smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs