Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    U
    U
    Oh, also. We don't have access to the AR program and I have wondered how DD;s comprehension is coming along. I found this website:

http://www.bookadventure.com/ki/index.asp

It has quizzes on many of the common kids' books. Admittedly they tend to be of the "What color was Ramona's shirt in chapter 2?" persuasion, but I assume AR is like that, too. DD has taken some for books she's read and scores 100% IF she has just finished the book. If we wait till a week or two later, she doesn't do as well.

DS5's decoding was reported by the DORA to be at the 12th grade level (accurate according to other testing results), reading comprehension at grade 6.5 (I'd guess lower but it's hard to tell with him), and other scores were all similarly high although fluctuating wildly. I wound up not using the DORA in advocacy because it was hard to justify the results compared to the other testing.

I did feel in our case that it was worth $20, since it gave DS5 a chance to take a test in a low-stress environment (our living room and on the potty), which may have helped him somewhat with testing anxiety after a prior disastrous experience. In addition while I can't exactly plan DS5's reading around the DORA results, some snippets of information in the report were at least interesting. I'm also of the mind that anything a child wants to read, and is actively engaged in reading, is almost certainly at an appropriate level, so simply observing one's child is a good bet.

Our IQ and achievement tester said that tests like the DORA may often score high on things like comprehension and even vocabulary because a lot of the questions are multiple choice. She did say, though, that gifted perfectionistic kids may score low on reading comprehension when tested by other methods (non-multiple-choice), due to reluctance to answer for many reasons (unsure of using vocabulary correctly in giving an answer, etc. comes to mind).

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    M
    M

A
    A
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    I think the vocab score was correct.. that being said.. my son is an emerging reader. Just because he knows what the word means doesn't mean he is a superb reader. I would never put him into the 5th grade reading program they suggested.

IMHO any of the test-based screeners suffer from that weakness. It wouldn't surprise me if they were worthwhile for kids whose tested reading levels were within a grade either way of classroom level, or who were reading at grade level or below. But for above-level kids with good vocabularies, I don't know that they're particularly useful, for just the reason you've described.

Our district uses STAR reading, and it hugely overstates DD's actual reading ability. Her scores this past year were 3-4 grades higher than what she can comfortably read.

V
    V
    Can the DORA test be done at home . After it gives the score does it recommend any material to improve?

A
    A
    Yes, DORA can be done at home: http://www.letsgolearn.com/lglsite/DORA_K_12/parents/

The material it will recommend will be one of their proprietary reading products.

Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    Yes, DORA can be done at home: http://www.letsgolearn.com/lglsite/DORA_K_12/parents/

The material it will recommend will be one of their proprietary reading products.

It doesn't actually recommend any specific materials, as far as I can tell. The full teacher's report does include a bunch of recommendations and strategies for reading and learning, but skimming them just now I didn't see any promotion for another product by that company.

I'm not trying to push the DORA test by any means; it is what it is, a quickie reading assessment you can do at home. I think it was worth the $20 for us, though it wouldn't necessarily be for everyone. I don't think it's just a promotional scam or anything, although I was worried about that before we bought it.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs