Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Wow. (Here I am new to this site and sending a second question in one day) Can anyone fill me in on the RIAS? Looking to pursue IQ testing with another psych and she said she would use the SB or RIAS. Not familiar with this one. Is one more challenging than another? If you were to choose for a young child (5.9) which test would you want the psych to use.
    THanks

S
    S
    We did SBV at 5.3 years, and our son loved it. He wanted to keep going back to the "puzzle doctor". I don't know anything about RIAS.

A
    A
    Have you asked the psychologist why she is considering using the RIAS?

My AS son, who has visual and motor disabilities, was tested on the RIAS to minimize the impact of his disabilities on the assessment process, since it does not have a motor output requirement and does not require the same level of visual discrimination that some of the other tests do. His verbal intelligence scores on the SB-IV and the RIAS were comparable (99.9th percentile); his verbal score on the WISC-IV was lower (99th percentile) due to low scores on the comprehension subtest, a common problem with AS. His non-verbal intelligence score on the RIAS was much higher than on the SB-IV and the WISC-IV, and more consistent with what we see in his day-to-day functioning, because the visual reasoning items were in a format that was less crowded and easier to see, and there was no motor output required. The RIAS measured his non-verbal reasoning, not his disabilities. The psychologist who tested my son with the RIAS chose it specifically for this reason.

U
    U
    DD was tested with the RIAS. It's very short, which can be a pro or a con. There isn't much info about it and it isn't well-known. This is the only test she will ever be given at school and I really wish she had gotten a longer, more detailed test instead. However, as aculady says, there seem to be situations when the RIAS can be a good choice.

B
    B
    I agree with aculady - we had taken the SBV and my DS8 actually ceilinged it in several subtests but he has dyspraxia - his motor coordination problems caused issues with the sections that had him use fine motor skills so his low scores in that area pulled down his high scores in others. We wanted to try to get an accurate look taking out his issues with Dyspraxia. So we were tol about the RIAS. My son took it 2 years ago and it finally gave us a better picture - our psychologist said that actually a good portion of his RIAS scores were comparable to his SBV scores so that made me feel better. I had never heard of the RIAS and I was worried that it wouldn't be accurate but when i heard that he scored similiarly on the SBV I felt better. Without any subtests using fine motor skills, we got a really good picture of where my son was using the RIAS.

Last edited by Belle; 05/05/11 08:13 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs