Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #101369 05/04/11 01:38 PM
    L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Can someone PLEASE explain executive functioning to me?? It is something I hear a lot, and I am curious if it factors into some of my DS5 behaviors.... Thanks!!

Some of what we've noticed in our DS8:
    - delayed ability to open toothpaste to put some on his toothbrush
    - delayed ability to climb and descend stairs on his own
    - delayed ability to cut with scissors and glue neatly
    - delayed drawing skills
    - doesn't play legos or jigsaw puzzles
    - hated tricycle
    - very uncoordinated in sports
    - VERY absent minded

I guess I've consoled myself that somethings will just come late to him. A few of the above improved after his 7th birthday. Many of the above were so strikingly obvious and different from peers that he's either been ridiculed or scolded by some &^%*&^* adult, and/ or I've spent a few nights crying myself to sleep.

Some of the links I've collected:
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10523.aspx
    http://www.homeschooldiner.com/specials/special_needs/executive_dysfunction.html
    http://www.uniquelygifted.org/ef.htm

From above linK:
    Originally Posted by Yermish
    EF involves self-regulating attention, mood, and behavior, in order to get complex tasks done well. We can think of EF as being like the little CEO in the frontal lobe. EF begins to develop in earliest infancy, and continues throughout childhood and adolescence.

Taking a job like putting the toothpaste cap on - lots of different things could effect that, including:
    1) fine motor coordination to twist the cap
    2) having fingers, having finger strength to twist, being able to see the cap and the threads
    3) intellectually understanding that putting the cap on is important to the family, knowing how to do it.
    4) being motivated to put the cap on
    5) remembering to do it
    6) preventing oneself from getting distracted so that one can carry out the plan
    7) keeping oneself calm and focused all the way through the job

Of all of those possible things - 5,6,and 7 are related to executive function.
    Some professionals see XF (executive function) as the basis of ADHD. Some see it as a totally seperate issue that some kids with ADHD have.

I've heard that ADHD kids don't get distracted any more often or any more easily than kids without ADHD, but that it looks like they do because typical kids are better able to use XF to get themselves back on task before anyone notices. Kids with weaker XF are more vulnerable to distraction because they don't have the power to get themselves back where they belong.

But I'll bet you a dollar that kids with OEs (over-excitabilities) or SI (sensory processing issues) DO get distracted more often and by smaller stimuli than typical kids!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I like this article as a good overview:
    http://www.greatschools.org/special...tive-function-lens-to-view-your-child.gs

Executive function: A new lens for viewing your child
    This theory of how we mentally navigate life offers a new way to view a child's strengths and struggles.
    As each of us goes about daily life, numerous mental processes and skills help us plan for � and respond to � the tasks, challenges, and opportunities we face. Researchers and psychologists have coined the term executive function to describe this constellation of cognitive controls. The dynamics of executive function affect every one of us � young and old, as well as those with and without disabilities. It influences our performance at school, on the job, our emotional responses, personal relationships, and social skills. Yet executive function plays itself out a little differently in each of us; each individual is uniquely strong or competent in some cognitive control areas and weaker in others........

If this sounds like something you might want to look into/study up on for your ds, there was an earlier thread:

Executive function book recommendations

that you might find of interest.

Age could be a big factor here, at age 5 I couldn't expect my ds to walk across the room without forgetting to walk across the room (sigh). Now at 10, he is just sitting in the living room at 9:30, pretty late for him, writing a 5 paragraph essay with 5 sentences each. No teeth pulling, just crankin' it out.
    Sure he still has some magnificent 'I forgot' moments, but most of the important stuff gets done, thankfully.

Hopefully getting a bit older will mitigate a lot of what is worrisome at this point.
    I know it is good to get a jump early on issues like this, however, to avoid undue frustration, self esteem issues and so-on. Best of luck figuring it out.

Last edited by chris1234; 05/05/11 06:55 PM.
    A
    A
    LDmom,

Most of what you are describing sounds a lot like motor dyspraxia.

Motor dyspraxia + impaired executive functioning looks a lot like a profile that would make me want to rule out Asperger's.

Has your child been evaluated for dyspraxia?

Thanks for your thoughts Grinity!

Originally Posted by aculady
    Has your child been evaluated for dyspraxia?

Aculady, no he hasn't. Off to google it! smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM