Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    F
    F
    Mumof3 you may want to read Miraca Gross' article on the Davidson site on highly gifted children in the early years where parent identification is regarded as a far more reliable measure than teacher id of young gifted children.- http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10124.aspx So stick with your gut - especially if you already have a score that backs it up. I also highly recommend her book Exceptionally Gifted Children, currently on my bedside table. I wish I'd read it sooner, probably when my DS was 2 (he's now 5) for the insights. It�s helped me to finally put my gifted denial to rest as he so clearly sits alongside the children she describes.

The article also has a section that goes directly to GiftOdds' original question about reliability of early testing:

"Ability and Achievement Testing
    Many researchers, however, express a justified concern that the reliability of psychometric testing is lower in the early years of childhood than in the middle years (Robinson and Robinson, 1992) and question whether a high IQ score obtained by a young child is predictive of academic success in later childhood (Jackson and Klein, 1997).

Unfortunately, some early childhood educators take this concern too far, and adamantly refuse to have a young child psychometrically assessed, even when it is obvious that the child is very highly gifted and will require early intervention and an individualized educational program.
    Both Robinson and Robinson (1992) and Gross (1993) found that the scores of young highly gifted children are likely to rise over successive testings, whereas normally a decrease would be expected in this high-scoring population through regression towards the mean. Ability or achievement testing of highly gifted children under the age of 5 or 6 is likely to result in an under-estimation of the child's true performance, rather than an over-estimation."

Giftodd I gather you haven�t been able to track down the studies quoted in the article about the issues of testing very young gifted children?

One of the thoughts I have is that Gross� research was done almost 20 years ago and there has probably been a substantial growth in the culture of coaching very young children or possible �hothousing� in the intervening years that may start to skew early IQ test results more so than in the past.

Last edited by freya; 05/03/11 05:29 PM. Reason: punctuation
    M
    M
    Thanks Freya, I did find that article interesting. Likewise the article on Terrance Tao linked earlier, who went through school in our city at the same time that I did. It as fascinating to see an article documenting the exact "anti-elitism" that I encountered in my own schooling (though I was obviously nowhere near Tao's situation, or prehaps because I was nowhere near his level of giftedness, I still encountered "No we couldn't possibly give your child extension work because that would be elitist and wrong").

Last edited by MumOfThree; 05/04/11 12:59 AM.
    G
    Giftodd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Hi Freya,

I haven't had a chance to look for further studies, but will do so when I can. Miraca is actually the head of gifted education at the University of New South Wales here in Australia and is still well and truly involved in gifted education. Her department was responsible for putting together a training program for all Australian schools in the last few years and she made the comment when I heard her speak at a conference a year or so ago. So she's still in the thick of things and as I understand it has continued her research over the years.

The package is here if it's of any use to anyone: http://www.dest.gov.au/sectors/scho...ion_professional_development_package.htm

I would second your recommendation re her book. It helped me put a few things in perspective. It would be interesting to know where those kids are now!

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...