Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi! I need some guidance. smile We are currently living in Ohio looking to move to better weather. We have decided to look at a couple areas in NC. Charlotte is seeming like the front runner right now. We have to visit the area of course, but on paper, and from talking to friends in the area, it's looking good. I have a EG DS 4.5. We were originally going to try to move down there in august, so that DS could start school in the fall.

Here's the problem I'm running into, right now, he is accepted for early k here. We had already decided to send him there next year.

I talked to the gifted coordinator of the Charlotte school system to see what our schooling options are. They have a gifted program in the public school system, but it doesn't start until second grade. They will do some enrichment in K and first, but it's probably not going to meet DS needs. They will early enroll kids, but its up to the principal at each individual school. So we would need to move there, and then find where his base school is and ask that principal.

There is also a gifted magnet program. It's harder to get into than the Regular gifted program. It sounds awesome, there are only about 12 kids in each class, and that is with a teacher and an aid! The curriculum is highly individualized, it sounded like there were pretty much individual lesson plans. I'm pretty sure DS could get in to that school, they require a Stanford Binet score of 145+, he took the WPPSI and his FS IQ was 139, so I'm hoping he would do well on the SB5. The problem with this school is they will not do early enrollment. I asked her if he could do K elsewhere and then transfer to the magnet for first, and she said that is allowed. However, I'm learning that the Charlotte school system is having some problems, and magnets are in jeopardy.

So here are our choices,
    A. Stay in ohio for another year and have DS complete K, and then move next summer. This is probably the best option, because we do have some things that we would have to come back for if we left now. (weddings, etc)

B. Move this summer, and try to early enroll him in public k, and hope he's not too bored. We could then try to get him into the gifted magnet for first.

C. Move now and either send him to preschool next year or keep him home next year, and then start him at the gifted magnet the following year, which is the year he's technically supposed to start.

D. Something else that I didn't think of, Homeschool maybe?

thank you for your help, I'm completely overwhelmed right now!

ETA: Please excuse my typos, on my ipad. smile

Last edited by Amber; 05/10/11 05:51 AM.

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    A
    Ace Offline
    A
    I used to live in Charlotte so let me fill you in. The gifted program in the public schools is really nothing. I have a feeling it will not fill your needs. All of the magnet schools have a HUGE number of applicants and it is a lottery. Even the gifted magnets that have score requirements always receive a lot more applications than they have spots so you can not count on getting in to one of those programs. Early entry is frowned upon in CMS but can be accomplished IF the principal is willing. Those who have succeeded have a lot of testing data and a willing principal. Even with all the data in the world, some principals will not do it. CMS (like many other systems) is definately having its share of problems (again, like many others). It is one of the largest systems in the country and all of the schools are large (there were almost 1000 kids in my daughter's k-5 school). I have some friends that have had good luck with private schools but not necessariy with gifted kids. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions!

Alison
    Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you! In your opinion, is this the case in most areas if the state? I've read that the research triangle is pretty much the same.

The magnet I was speaking of is the horizons program, are you familiar with that one?

A
    Ace Offline
    A
    I am not as familiar with Horizons as I am with the others. I know that it is pretty small. I'll see if I can dig up anything from my Charlotte friends for you.

Alison
    Amber -
    You might want to get that SB5 test now, if Horizons will take outside testing, to help cut down the floating questions.

It seems to me that taking the offered early K in Cleveland will give you the most options. Especially if you could use the money/travel time you would have used coming back for weddings to get the school situation firmed up for the following year.

It seems like you are saying that even if the Charlotte gifted programs ended tomorrow, that you'd be wanting to move anyway because of the weather and 'over all high tech feel' of the place, yes? Even without a great gifted school program, having a great demographic of kids to hang out with goes a long way.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you grinity! That is what we have decided on. Now the trick is finding a tester in our area.

We are starting from scratch as far as where to move to, hopefully we will be able to find something by next summer. Maybe just somewhere else in NC.

A
    A
    There is also Metrolina Regional Scholars Academy. My DD attends this school. It is a HG Charter School.
    http://www.scholarsacademy.org/educ...fault.php?sectionid=2&url_redirect=1

Something to keep an eye on is the new charter school legislation. There is a chance of some new, charters opening up for the 2012-2013 year. There are several groups that want to open more gifted schools.
    http://www.nccharters.org/

I do not to discourage you against Horizons. I think it is a fantastic program. However, it is very hard to get into. It truly is a profoundly gifted program. The good news is that they will take as many kids that qualify. Sometimes it is only 2 or 3 per grade (this is in a district of 130,000 kids).
    I hear the school is great about talking to parents, so give them a call.

Good luck in your search and move.

Originally Posted by Amber
    Now the trick is finding a tester in our area.
    There's no trick to that! You 'right next door' to
    Amend Psychological Services
    http://www.amendpsych.com/
    Main Office:
    1025 Dove Run Road
    Suite 304
    Lexington, KY 40502
    Locate Us

Satellite Office:
    10921 Reed Hartman Highway
    Suite 212
    Cincinnati, OH 45242
    Locate Us

Contact Us:
    Email: info@amendpsych.com
    Phone: 859.269.6465
    Fax: 859.269.6401

Which brings up another warm weather part of the country to consider...Dr. Amend knows the resources in Lexington.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    We used a tester in Beachwood when our son was 6.5, with good results -- pm me if you'd like her name.

Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Atwl1011
    There is also Metrolina Regional Scholars Academy. My DD attends this school. It is a HG Charter School.
    http://www.scholarsacademy.org/educ...fault.php?sectionid=2&url_redirect=1

Something to keep an eye on is the new charter school legislation. There is a chance of some new, charters opening up for the 2012-2013 year. There are several groups that want to open more gifted schools.
    http://www.nccharters.org/

I do not to discourage you against Horizons. I think it is a fantastic program. However, it is very hard to get into. It truly is a profoundly gifted program. The good news is that they will take as many kids that qualify. Sometimes it is only 2 or 3 per grade (this is in a district of 130,000 kids).
    I hear the school is great about talking to parents, so give them a call.

Good luck in your search and move.

I came across Metrolina, but that's a lottery, correct? I would rather not leave it up to chance if I can help it.

I am not as confident that he could get into Horizons. I was confused on the scoring of the SB-V. I didn't realize they were looking for the 99.9% score, my DS is a solid 99.5% on the WPPSI, and not a math kid at all, his strengths are verbal. (He is pretty good at math, but it's definitely not his "niche" for lack of a better term.) that's not to say it isn't possible, but it's not a definite, that's for sure!

Thanks for your reply, it's greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Amber; 05/10/11 08:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM