Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #101214 05/03/11 07:25 AM
    S
    Shitu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Does anyone know anything about k12 online school? Below is there site.

http://www.k12.com/

From the site

"This schooling differs from traditional schools in that classes do not take place in a building, but rather at home, on the road, or wherever an Internet connection can be found. Students take courses online with support from their teacher via phone, online Web meetings, and sometimes even face to face.

The parent (or "Learning Coach") keeps the student on track in line with the provided lessons plans. While courses are delivered online, the schools provide plenty of opportunities to connect online and offline with a vibrant school community.
    "

A
    A
    The K12 online public school option is available in our state, so I've looked into it briefly. It appears to have no good acceleration option, and a hugely inflexible calendar, but I believe that's hugely variable by program.

G
    G
    Our state has the K12 online public school option as well. My dd is in a private school and takes extra classes thru this. It does have an acceleration option. My dd is in 7th and taking high school credit foreign language. Also, students work at their own pace. My dd completed a whole class over the summer last year.She is currently taking a class that runs concurrently with her school year and she plans on taking another one this summer.
    So far, we both have been happy with it. The teachers are always available if you need help, they have monthly phone calls, and every few units they have a verbal test to verify that the student is actually doing the work and understands the work.
    Hope this helps.

I don't have direct experience with K12, but we've been with Connections for five years.

There are some very serious concerns that I personally have with them which are all directly/indirectly related to having a PG child in their program:

• differentiation.... isn't. I mean, yes, it exists on paper, but... the reality is that MOST of the time 'differentiation' really just means ACCELERATION. And-- you know, no other differentiation.
    • even where there IS meaningful differentiation, there is still an attitude that this needs to be "on top of" rather than "instead of" the basic assignment/course. Often it's just a MOTS approach. Not good at all.
    • Difficulty isn't very high-- but as you go up in grade levels, output/throughput expectations are. SO if your ten year old can't write out twenty pages of notes for a research paper in a week... and complete a physics lab, and write up a formal lab report in the same afternoon... The work itself is trivial-- which actually makes a lot of the busy-work productivity aspects harder to sell to a PG child, since their productivity needs to be very high, but their motivation isn't likely to be.
    • ... Oh, and while I'm on that subject of motivation? YOU will be the one responsible for "seeing to it" that they actually DO all that required work that isn't very motivating. There are real consequences if they blow things off. This is the part where I often remark, tongue-in-cheek, that this is "the worst of both worlds" since it's all the WORK of Homeschooling for parents, with all the drudgery of enforcing someone else's ideas of what your child should be doing.
    • it can REALLY drive perfectionism because so much of the student's grades are based on trivial-pursuit style multiple choice questions. Very little is the type of open-ended, non-rubric based assessment that GT kids really need, given their proclivity for divergent or multilevel thinking... and the gradebook updates INSTANTLY, and many of the assessments are little two-to-ten question things, where obviously if you miss even one or two, that causes your "grade" to be less than an "A" on the assignment.
    • Both K12 and Connections are moving AWAY from physical textbooks due to costs. Texts are increasingly 'online' which means more screen time-- my daughter HATES the i-texts, so we have to budget to purchase physical copies of her texts.

I don't want to necessarily say that there are only bad things to consider.

This does have some significant advantages, as well:

• "real" school results in a real transcript by a really accredited institution, so there are no questions about the authenticity of placement or course rigor.
    • real interactions with real classmates-- albeit virtually (I know this seems hard to believe, but I've witnessed this for five years running-- when these kids meet in person, they TRULY behave as though the "really" know one another already, the way real friends do.)
    • great emphasis on technological skill development.
    • grade acceleration is truly not a big deal in this environment, nor is subject acceleration (though language arts is often 'bundled' with the rest of the curriculum, so subject acceleration is usually done with math).
    • teachers are 'real' teachers-- they really care about their kids, they really help them, and they are really responsive. They also, like any other group of "real" teachers, are sometimes not very understanding, sometimes have a teaching style that doesn't "click" with a student, etc.
    • expectations and timelines/deadlines ARE NOT negotiable. Mostly, I mean. The school year ends when it ends, and anything not complete by then becomes a ZERO... which impacts grades in middle school and up. You're expected to finish the course-- often the entire textbook. This is quite different from conventional schools, and it means that most math classes actually do get into the 'interesting' end-of-the-textbook applications chapters. So that's a good thing. (As an aside, of course, it would be an even BETTER thing if we could swap out the first four chapters and spend more time on the last four instead, but we can't have everything, either...)

Hope this helps.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions and I'll do my best. I've learned a lot about the internal workings of Connections over the years.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    The online school that interests me most is the EPGY Online High School . An article describing one young woman's experience with it is

http://www.pinnaclenews.com/news/contentview.asp?c=267285
    Ready for the Ivy League
    Friday, March 19, 2010
    By Katie Moeller

Of course many students take EPGY courses before they are of high school age. AOPS offers math courses and a programing course but is not a full-fledged high school.

Maybe it is best to mix and match online courses from various providers, based on their relative strengths, but this will complicate the creation of a high school transcript.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    C
    C
    My kids are using k12 through CAVA here in CA. My son was able to start his 1st grade year doing their 3rd grade math - it is very easy to assess out of any lesson you feel they already know. We decided to keep him in 1st grade subjects everywhere else and he actually completed all 1st grade material by January for Language Arts, Science, and History. He's now working on the 2nd grade material and enjoying it a lot.

My daughter loved what he was doing and begged to come home from K at the local school. She is really enjoying it as well and has a few 1st grade subjects at this stage.

We aren't pushing faster through some things as I don't want to get to too hard of work for them but we do meet objectives of the assignments and then read other books or do other projects.

We now have a Community Day program near us and the kids enjoyed going there once a week to participate - unsure if this is something only offered by CAVA or whether other virtual charters also offer it.

We've been happy and will continue next year. I am unsure if we will stay with it long term or will move to homeschooling on our own at some point. We'll see how that goes in the next year or two.

eta: the history is fairly similar to Story of the World -actually much of the stories they use are almost exactly the same as some of SOTW (I checked the book out of the library to compare last week).

Last edited by CourtneyB; 05/05/11 09:25 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations