Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 179 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I am starting to gather info on home schooling for us - as a just in case. Honestly, although DS(4) is in a gifted pre school we are just not 100% convinced that it's going to always be a good fit. Right now we are about 90% sure that he is not encouraged to work at his own personal ability level and I am in a mental mess about everything right now.

He starts back on Wednesday this week after a month's break and I am waiting to see what will happen. He and I had a great chat about him telling the teacher what he wants to do and work on, so we will see how that goes.

There is also the financial aspect. Next year we will have two kids in the school, and then a third to join them a few years later. Right now I am doing more teaching at home after school in the afternoons anyways so the only difference would be that I would be saving a whole boatload of cash if I did it at home - and this would free up cash for trips, outings, extra murals etc. If he was learning optimally and I knew that he was happy as well as me being happy with the level of work offered to him then I'd sell a kidney or whatever to keep them all there, but it's not happening - surely I should not have to still teach him more after a morning of school at a gifted school??

So my questions for those that have chosen home schooling:
    - what made you choose it?
    - from what age did you start homeschooling?
    - do you follow a very structured timetable or do you go with the flow?
    - what do you think of unschooling for younger kids?
    - do you only follow the required information type learning or do you go indepth as much as your child wants before moving on?
    - what advice would you give to someone starting this with young children?
    - what would you change if you could start home schooling over again?

Any other advice or wisdom you can impart?

thanks! smile

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    [quote]

So my questions for those that have chosen home schooling:
    - what made you choose it? My DS's educational needs weren't being met by the PS. He was miserable w/ constant headaches, stomaches, crying at night about school.

- from what age did you start homeschooling? He was in PS for K-2nd grade. My middle son wanted to go to K so I sent him, knowing HSing would be an adjustment for us all. He cried to come home 3/4s through K but finished out the year. He came home for 1st grade. He is now finishing 2nd grade.

- do you follow a very structured timetable or do you go with the flow? I have been going w/ the flow but now that my DS is finishing up 5th grade, I feel the need to be more structured and make sure those foundations are firm.

- what do you think of unschooling for younger kids? Unschooling means different things to different people. I won't touch that one w/ a ten foot pole. smile

- do you only follow the required information type learning or do you go indepth as much as your child wants before moving on? I go as indepth as my child wants. That's the beauty of hsing. The one lesson many HSers have to learn is to use the curriculum, don't let it use you. It's difficult sometimes to have a curriculum that says 36weeks on it, and realized you're on week 15 and it's week 30 of the school year. But if it's been a good journey and DC has learned a lot and loves learning, it's all good.

- what advice would you give to someone starting this with young children? Enjoy them. Do lots of nature study. And for YOU to read, read, read, and read some more. What I've spent this year doing (learning about good paragraph structure, essay structure, teaching writing), I wish I had researched 2yrs ago. So now I'm busy learning about rhetoric so that when DC is there in a 2yrs, I'll be ready. Also, read about various education philosophies and see which one suits you. then as your kids get older, see which one suits them.

- what would you change if you could start home schooling over again? I would have never sent my son to school. I'm still undoing the damage.

Any other advice or wisdom you can impart? Nope. I'm in my 3rd year and every year has been different. I had the first year w/ DSthen8 and DD2 w/ DSthen5 in K. then the following year, I bought DSthen6 home so that changed the dynamics greatly. Now DD4 demands her time as well so it's a juggling act but well worth it.

thanks! smile

M
    M
    We hadn't originally planned on it, but as oldest DD neared school age, she had some issues which made us worry how school would work out. She was intellectually advanced but somewhat immature, very kind to others but somewhat fragile, and had some sensory issues (textures, loud sounds, etc). The issues were never crippling, and have gotten a lot less severe as she's grown up, but at the time they did make us concerned. Now that we're doing it though, we don't really have any thought of stopping unless she wants to.
    From the beginning.
    We started very casual, close to unschooling. As she aged we've gone more towards organization, and with DS we've been a bit more organized from the start since it seems to work out for him.
    Part of the advantage of homeschooling is that you can base what you're doing on the kid; for some kids it works great.
    - do you only follow the required information type learning or do you go indepth as much as your child wants before moving on?
    We definitely go deep on anything that is a point of interest, but we also have a baseline even on things they aren't into at the moment.

There are tons of resources available online. The journey is a marathon not a sprint, so don't freak out about small setbacks.
    I don't really have any big "wish I'd done that" items. Not everything is a success, but we see how things are going and adjust when problems arise.

P
    P
    We homeschooled all the way through.

I have three main pieces of advice.

1. Don't overthink it. Sometimes smart moms want to learn and do everything and they get really into reading all of the philosophies and looking at all the curriculums and it can lead to getting burned out before you even start.

2. Listen to your kids. If something isn't working, change it. That's the beauty of homeschooling.

3. Build your local support system of friends. Online information is great but there is no substitute for real friends when you need a shoulder to cry on or someone to watch the kids so you can go to the doctor alone.

I am not much further along the journey than you are.

We chose homeschooling because we couldn' find any options for school wiothin a decent distance that we would feel happy to send DS to everyday.

Birth smile Okay I decided to start homeschooling when my DS was almost 4, but what I do now is not that different from what I have been doing since he was born. DS was the kind of child that need stuff to do every single day, so we did a lot of craft and things anyway, it was just a matter of keeping up with his developing influences.

We actually started doing curriculum when not long after that, because I was running out of things to do. Another trigger was a holiday we took to visit family and they gave my DS some preschool workbooks.

I wish I'd done that long before!

Bit of both. We have a rhythm. I wouldn't call it a timetable.

I consider myself an unschooler, but part of that is doing what works for your child. My child NEEDS structure, so he gets it. (I have posted aboutt hat elsewhere, and my own struggle with that) Some people wouldn't call that unschooling. Shrug, I don't need them in my life anyway. I also consider myself Montessori, but I don't use all the materials and replicate a classroom at home. I believe "follow the child".

To me, the whole idea of homeschooling is that I don't have to stick to the required information. Most gifted children pick that up themselves anyway. But again, follow the child.

Well, I'm still there, but I suppose a big part of my journey - ongoing - is to try to make connections now, so when it all gets 'official' I will ahve the support I need. BUT be careful, because some of the people who are homeschooling older children will act as if you are not really homeschooling. This hasn't happened much, but enough for me to avoid some people who do it.

Try very hard to doubt myself less!

If you are interested in home education fo gifted children, I would really recommend "Creative Home Schooling: A resource Guide for smart families" It goes through lots and lots of considerations and outlines differences between different approaches. It is a really helpful read for someone just starting out.

what made you choose it?
    Son was not happy in private kindergarten. They were teaching him alphabets when he'd been reading since before 2. They were teaching him numbers when he was already counting, adding, subtracting and multiplying etc. And he said no one understood his jokes and games. He stopped asking questions (previously very intensely curious child). And he was obviously going to dumb himself down to fit in. Besides, he never wanted to go to school. I was the one who felt he should because he's an only child.

from what age did you start homeschooling?
    Kindergarten

do you follow a very structured timetable or do you go with the flow?
    A bit of both. Most homeschoolers I know do a bit of both. Unless you're very rigid with things, it's quite difficult to stick to just one way.

what do you think of unschooling for younger kids?
    Great if it works for the kid. You'll know it works if you're both happy with the situation and you know your kid is learning loads and you're available to answer questions and help your kid learn things more in depth when he wants to.

do you only follow the required information type learning or do you go indepth as much as your child wants before moving on?
    I'm not sure what the point of homeschooling would be if you don't go in depth when your child really wants to.

what advice would you give to someone starting this with young children?
    Keep it light and fun. Encourage critical thinking, even at the young age. Encourage questions and deep discussions. Use normal words, don't dumb down what you tell them. Surround them with books and quality magazines, quality TV shows, audio books etc. Lay the foundation when they are young and it will be second nature by the time they are 6, 7 or 8.

what would you change if you could start home schooling over again?

I'd buy less curriculum and use more real-life materials and go on more field trips.

Any other advice or wisdom you can impart?
    Time flies so quickly. So make sure you have fun too. And don't worry too much about mixing things up or making changes. Keep it flexible. The homeschooling lifestyle is awesome. You'll really enjoy it if you remember to not overcomplicate things. You don't need every single curriculum out there. Use your library if you have a good one nearby. Use the internet. Again, have fun!

Take care and good luck!

Last edited by LDmom; 05/02/11 10:54 PM. Reason: typos
    M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    thank you everyone - you have indeed given me a lot of information to think through and consider smile

thanks again!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations