Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Michaela #101142 05/02/11 10:22 AM
    S
    S

DS2 loves reading with his Daddy.
    Last night I tricked my way into the reading line up and this is what we read.

Cars and Trucks and things that go (Richard Scary)
    Poky Little Puppy.

Often I hear that we read:
    Traditional fairy/folk tales.
    Tootle (Golden books)
    Anything with cars and trains.
    10 apples up on top.

At 18mo it seems like we were reading P.B Bear non stop, but it makes the occasional line up.

-scalder

scalder1 #101274 05/03/11 05:16 PM
    OP Offline
    Tootle is GOING to KILL me.
    Jus' sayin'

(he doesn't want it often, but I hate the message, I hate the writing, and I don't even like the pictures. Grrr.)

But thanks for the rest of the suggestions wink

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Michaela #101800 05/09/11 09:21 PM
    S
    S
    My daughter likes the same books I read at her age:
    Go Dog, Go!
    Put me in the Zoo
    Fish out of Water and I think her favorite is
    It's not Easy Being a Bunny

We haven't been reading as much and she has developed a semi-addiction to video games. frown

Michaela #101838 05/10/11 10:41 AM
    A
    A
    Go Dog GO! we loved that one lol "Hello. Do you like my hat?" what an odd one lol We quote it all the time! "No, I do no like your hat. Goodbye" He loved all the Dr Seuss books, really loved the Margeret Wise Brown book "the Color Kittens" That one got a workout! i think at age 3 we mostly did books in bed at night or he played with the calculator

I don't worry about the VGs. DS started playing adult video games (puzzle games mainly) at age 2. (i know, the horror! What a terrible mom I am!) Lonnnnngggg story + very intense PG kid... He is still into VGs but they don't hold his interest like they did when he was a toddler. He still puts in his time daily but the amount of reading he does aside from VGs, I am really not worried! And, he really isn't into TV that much. Lately he likes to put on an episode of Mythbusters before reading in bed. I would have thought his VG habit would be a prob at this point but now, at age 10, he just isn't that into it anymore smile

Michaela #101841 05/10/11 11:02 AM
    I
    I
    Go Dog Go! was the ONLY book my dad would read aloud to me when I was a child (and I mean it, he never read a different book, although we owned many others). He is college educated, so he certainly could have read others smile But he didn't... When my oldest kid was born, his present to her was a copy of Go Dog Go! that he wrote a note in for her.

Michaela #101853 05/10/11 11:58 AM
    H
    H
    DS2 likes:

* Dr Seuss books, esp Cat in the Hat
    * Thomas books
    * Curious George

Sigh, Dr Seuss is too long to read aloud, esp if I have to read 10 Dr Seuss books in a row.

Michaela #101856 05/10/11 12:17 PM
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    (he doesn't want it often, but I hate the message, I hate the writing, and I don't even like the pictures. Grrr.)
    -Mich
    I felt that way about 'The Giving Tree' and 'The Rainbow Fish' and just about all the Berenstain Bears books!
    I should have been able to make the connection between caring so much about a stupid kid's book and being gifted - but no I didn't.

((shrugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #101999 05/11/11 05:02 PM
    OP Offline
    Hah! I LOVED the Bernstein Bears as a kid. I've been nervous about getting them out because I'm worried I won't like them as much. And DH has a thing against them becasue he finds them "too commercial" allong with a lot (too much, I sympathise, BUT) of other stuff.

I should really bite that bullet.

I have to admit, though, I am worried about DS following in my footsteps and becomming overly dependant on extensive series. I didn't really get into reading one-off fiction until I was 14, and really, that was NOT ok. I was genuinely scared of unfamilliar characters/settings. DS seems to be showing some similar tendencies.

Grinity, you always make the link between past and present seem a little clearer. I worry I'm posting on here too much about my reactions based on my history and not really enough about DS himself. But then I remind myself that I'm on here to be a better parent, not to be a social butterfly. I hope I'm not too annoying, but I really think working though my stuff is more than half the battle.

And about the "Rainbow Fish" -- we have a puzzle of that, and it really looks like those are scale-eating fish, which is a bit rare. I've been very intregued & feaked out by the cannibalism aspect apparent in the puzzle. How's that for over-analysing a kid's toy? <sigh> Maybe if I read the book I'd feel better!

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Michaela #102012 05/11/11 07:43 PM
    Where else are we going to work through out stuff than here? It has to be done to parent well for me at least.
    Good luck with rainbow fish

I did a lot of series but I specialized in reading everything of a particular writer...even Ayn Rand starting in 9th grade....even the nonfiction. To me getting used to the writers voice was the most important thing. I still do and love seeing writers crossing over: Marion Zimmer Bradley in my 20s. Orson Scott Card throughout. Heinlien. Vonnegut. Some of Asimov. The dune books.

So maybe you coud introduce your son to nonseries books if a favorite author was involved.

L&ML
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Michaela #102014 05/11/11 08:17 PM
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    I have to admit, though, I am worried about DS following in my footsteps and becomming overly dependant on extensive series. I didn't really get into reading one-off fiction until I was 14, and really, that was NOT ok. I was genuinely scared of unfamilliar characters/settings. DS seems to be showing some similar tendencies.

Is there really anything wrong with that? I still to this day love series books and have a hard time switching to something else when I come to the end of a series but that has never stopped me from reading extensively. wink Sure, I'll pick up stand-alone books every now and then but I always feel a let down afterwards and keep wondering...what next? Then again, I'm someone who has a hard time even switching genres (for instance, there was a time when I was JUST reading kids books, then fantasy books, then comedies, then...). I would've been pretty annoyed if someone told me in one of my reading streaks that I had to switch things up a bit. I eventually did, but on my own time and once I felt done with that genre.

Maybe your soon has some sort of need that is fulfilled by reading certain types of books at that moment? DD tends to focus on certain type of books depending on the circumstances. For instance, the Llama llama books were really popular after we'd night-weaned her and also when she was dealing with separation anxiety. At times when DH is traveling and she misses him she'll asks for books in his native language. Now she's really into Curious George (and she happens to be going through a very silly/exploratory phase), go figure! laugh

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM