Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi Ren,

Your DD did great even though she did it so fast. My DS was not fast and he missed more on the OLSAT. He got 53 out of 60. Just OLSAT score is 96percentile so still not enough for citywide but at least if he did scored better on the BSRA maybe he could have gotten bumped up a point and not down lol.
    So now how did you rank the citywide schools. Would you consider any besides Anderson? That is the only one I would have considered and I knew it really was impossible. We got 2 school choices and I am sure we will get the same crappy school he got last time lol

E
    E
    Okay, I've been reading these posts and now I'm wondering about my 6 year old daughter's chances of getting into NEST + m for the 1st grade; which is my wife and I's first choice (Anderson is second). My daughter got a perfect score on the OLSAT and Bracken sections, and of course scored in the 99th percentile because of that. My little honey's a very smart girl, but I fell off my sofa when I opened the pdf file with her results (holy christmas, she got them all right...it was 4:45 am on April 26th, and I cheered loudly in my apartment, and then controlled myself when I realized everyone else in my neighborhood was still sleeping...I drove to do the laundry, after taping a copy of ny daughter's score to my bedroom door, and called my wife at 7:30, and said, "Honey, go look at the door..." My wife screamed and we celebrated all day long...). So now, after all this excitement, and all this wonderful news, and dreams about my daughter's future presidential run at the age of 35, well, now I'm wondering. Does anyone have a good idea about the selection process beyond scores? I know that having a sibling in a school of choice gives you precedence over other kids (my youngest son just turned four, and he's on par with his big sister smartswise, though at some things, like vocabulary, and logic, he's measurable better), and if my daughter gets in, she'll drag her little brother right along with her if he scores in the 97th percentile; but what are my daughter's chances at our first choice school? Is the selection into first grade for Citywide based first on scores? Or is there someo other conspiratorial criteria? Any enlightenment would be helpful...thanks.

Last edited by Exegesis68; 05/02/11 06:51 AM.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Great post , loved reading it lol. CONGRATS!!!!
    I wish I had some answers for you.
    I guess it depends on how many seats are available. Since 1st is not the entry grade right? I believe all the entry grades have been kindergarten for a while or am I wrong?
    If 1st is the entry grade then she has a way better chance. Now for Anderson they have to take a special test and then get ranked, that is what I heard but for the other citywides I dk if they have another test.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    And don't worry these schools are not the end all and be all we don't even know if they will be any good.
    I took my ds out of a gifted class because it was more remedial lol

Originally Posted by Exegesis68
    Okay, I've been reading these posts and now I'm wondering about my 6 year old daughter's chances of getting into NEST + m for the 1st grade; which is my wife and I's first choice (Anderson is second). My daughter got a perfect score on the OLSAT and Bracken sections, and of course scored in the 99th percentile because of that. My little honey's a very smart girl, but I fell off my sofa when I opened the pdf file with her results (holy christmas, she got them all right...it was 4:45 am on April 26th, and I cheered loudly in my apartment, and then controlled myself when I realized everyone else in my neighborhood was still sleeping...I drove to do the laundry, after taping a copy of ny daughter's score to my bedroom door, and called my wife at 7:30, and said, "Honey, go look at the door..." My wife screamed and we celebrated all day long...). So now, after all this excitement, and all this wonderful news, and dreams about my daughter's future presidential run at the age of 35, well, now I'm wondering. Does anyone have a good idea about the selection process beyond scores? I know that having a sibling in a school of choice gives you precedence over other kids (my youngest son just turned four, and he's on par with his big sister smartswise, though at some things, like vocabulary, and logic, he's measurable better), and if my daughter gets in, she'll drag her little brother right along with her if he scores in the 97th percentile; but what are my daughter's chances at our first choice school? Is the selection into first grade for Citywide based first on scores? Or is there someo other conspiratorial criteria? Any enlightenment would be helpful...thanks.

Exegesis
    Congrats, your sharp cookie did awesome! Unfortunately, Tracey is right - the entry point for Nest, Anderson and the rest is K, so she is competing for the few spots that open up because people move and even more unfortunately, siblings apparently get first dibs on those seats. Even worse, if you look at the school's websites they indicate that they are not anticipating having any K seats. Would you consider STEM or BSI or TAG - you might have a better shot.

Is she in g&T now? If not use can use it for that too. I would like to believe that there is a ranking of scores rather than the lottery - meaning that getting them all right ranks you higher than someone who didn't. But all the publicly discussed info indicates that all 99s are created equal and chosen randomly. However, its not public knowledge so who knows what they do. confused

I would definitely use the info to see what other options she has where she is if not already in gifted.

DeHe

E
    E
    Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for NEST, and TAG is too far (live in Brooklyn), BSI, well, I'm not impressed by the school, it's too new, and I just may put my daughter in a private school (which at present would be a really big sacrifice), and see where that takes me...thanks again.

W
    W
    Even though Nest has more classes per grade, they did not have any grade 1 spots at this time last year (too many sibs) Anderson had 2 spots. I love NEST as a school but it is far from up here. I have DD in the science program at the Museum of Natural History and she could never make it up here from NEST.

So I only put Anderson, since she is the top District G&T now. Which means if I don't get a spot, I can keep trying until Oct.

Ren

S
    S
    Well, I empathize with all of you trying to get in to limited spots at fantastic public schools. That said, here in Orlando, we do not have any such options at all, so our chances of getting in are zero. :-) I would love it if we had a district wide gifted school, but that doesn't seem like it will ever be an option. We are limited to so-so public schools, or private education. There are not even any private schools that are exclusively for the gifted here in this area.

Ren
    Sent you a PM smile

DeHe

E
    E
    Jeebus...Wren, you just stopped my heart. I thought that my daughter's perfect score on the G&T test would move her to the top of the line, and get her a spot. But now, well, I can't believe it. Wow, what a lot of disappointment; it's crazy that I can be so high when I got her results and now... I don't know much about the selection process, so I'm wondering, Wren, you get to keep trying to get your child into G&T if you only select one school on the application? I chose two. Now I'm thinking I should resubmit and choose every school offered to my daughter.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM