Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Our DD(10) is working through all the books in Brian Jacque's Redwall series for the 2nd time this year. Also, she just finished Series of Unfortunate Events.

Love the reading list ideas!

2SM.

this year dd has enjoyed:

Jeremy Fink and the meaning of Life -Wendy Mass
    A Mango shaped Space - ""
    11 birthdays - '''

Also Tuck Everlasting

she still loves to re-read

My Side of the Mountain
    Jennifer, Hecate, MacBeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth

and anything else by Konigsburg (like A View from Saturday)

C
    C
    This weeks pile... smile I just took this stack of books off his nightstand and DS10 said he loved them all... Moby Dick, Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls, Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, Shooting the Moon by Frances O'Roark Dowell, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg, Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island, The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt, and Huckleberry Finn... Thank you for the great suggestions, everyone! I'm always looking!

B
    B
    My DD read The mixed up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler when she was 8 and LOVED it too!

M
    M
    Harpo (10) is reading this week Roger Lancelyn Green's Adventures of Robin Hood, E. Nesbit's House of Arden, Nancy Bond's String in the Harp, Arika Okrent's In the Land of Invented Languages, and David Crystal's Little Book of Language (which Mama22Gs here recommended a few months ago; I finally got around to getting it for him for his birthday--it was a huge hit, so thank you, Mama, for the recommendation!).

Hope nobody minds me bringing this thread back up--I've been away, and couldn't resist a book thread on my first visit back...

peace
    minnie

Originally Posted by minniemarx
    Hope nobody minds me bringing this thread back up--I've been away, and couldn't resist a book thread on my first visit back...

It's always your recommendations that I look forward to most. Thanks for sharing.

Minniemarx has inspired me to share. In the last few months, DS read Chua's Tiger Mom, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, The Disappearing Spoon and the Elements, and this week became fascinated by Electronics for Dummies. This last one is unfortunate because it initiated a list of parts he wants me to buy him.

For fiction, he's started to enjoy Steinbeck and really loved Moby Dick. He recently reread some of the Orson Scott Card (Invasive Procedures and the Ender's Game series).

In the last year, he really enjoyed a couple of the cartoon guides -- like the cartoon guide to economics. And he rereads the Horrible Histories and Murderous Maths obsessively. We have virtually all these books and I think he's read each one cover to cover 10 times. If he finds one randomly in the car, he goes back to reading it as if he's never seen it before.

Thanks for starting this thread, Chris, and thanks to all of the replies. My DS10 has enjoyed reading the suggestions posted here. So many books, so little time.

DS10 has likewise just finished the Ender's Game series. He also loved reading The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, I Robot, and the Percy Jackson/Olympian books and the new books The Lost Hero and Red Pyramid. So they seem to have common interests.

Here is a very quick list of books that he recommends as his favorites:
    Ranger's Apprentice
    The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
    Pendragon Series
    Artemis Fowl
    House of the Scorpion
    Here There Be Dragons (several books in this series)
    Magyk Series (Septimus Heap) by Sage
    Simon Bloom- Gravity Keeper
    Simon Bloom -The Octopus Effect
    Fablehaven Series by Mull
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
    The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Stroud

Note: I have not read all of these, but many of them I have enjoyed. Here There Be Dragons creates an imaginary world where famous literary creations all come to life in one book (Capt. Nemo, Sherlock Homes references, Peter Pan, many Lord of the Ring references, etc). So it is fun to read if you know your fictional literature. I have also read and enjoyed Magyk, Fablehaven, and Simon Bloom.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    OP Offline
    Awesome, keep the suggestions coming! We seem to only hit on 1 out of ever 20 suggested books, so the more suggestions the merrier.
    He did just recently get his first issue of 'Odyssey' magazine, which he is carrying around reading, so that was a good find.
    http://www.odysseymagazine.com/
    thanks!!

I
    I
    Muse magazine is a bit expensive, but both my kids loved it at 10/11.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM