Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 345 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OP Offline
    Saw another thread on 1st graders and since we still struggle to find enough books for our ds10, soon to be 11, I was hoping this thread would thin out the 'best book thread ever' discussion to just those that make sense for a 10 year old reading at 4+ years above his age level, lol...

Right now he is finishing Ender's Game, which I wondered about giving to him due to the violence, but he has not been freaked out by it, and very much enjoying it, so that is great. The Percy Jackson/Olympian books are always a hit, but for some reason, not the other series by the same author.
    Loved George's secret key books a couple years back, and most books on astronomy, haven't found anything new in that vein in a while. Oh, and ALL the dragon-ball/dragon-ball z manga books he can get his hands on, wants to learn Japanese now, and is making his own short animations (yay!)
    Also recently started on baseball team, so any great baseball books -- kids' stories or possibly bios would be great to know about.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated. thanks!!

Last edited by chris1234; 04/30/11 03:04 AM.
    M
    M
    DD10 just finished A Series of Unfortunate Events. She's currently reading the Fire Thief trilogy, thanks to a recommendation from the ultimate books thread.

Would your DS like the Ranger's Apprentice series? That's one of my next group of books for DD. I don't know that they're particularly challenging, but I thought my DD would enjoy the story.

DD prefers books written for the middle school interest level, which makes it hard to find books at her reading level.

H
    hip Offline
    H
    Great idea for a thread! Ds11 was and is a big fan of Ender; has your ds read 'Ender's Shadow'? It's the same story, told from Bean's point of view. There are lots of sequels too, some of which ds has read and enjoyed.

Two other series that were and are still favorites:

Mortal Engines and its sequels and prequels, by Philip Reeve (postapocalyptic, big and sprawling and imaginative, with male and female teen protagonists)

His Majesty's Dragon and its sequels, by Naomi Novik (think Anne McCaffrey meets Patrick O'Brian; written for adults, but ok IMO for kids; not as violent as Ender, and only a few vague allusions to sex)

More suggestions from ds:
    Asimov's I, Robot
    the Asterix series of comic books
    Bone, by Jeff Smith
    a younger series by Philip Reeve that starts with 'Larklight'
    Eragon
    Redwall
    several of Michael Crichton's books (Jurassic Park et al.)
    Susan Cooper's Dark Is Rising series
    Anthony Horowitz's Alex Ryder series
    James Patterson's Maximum Ride series
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld books (there are almost 40, so here's a reading-order guide: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg)
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams (excellent audiobook by Stephen Fry)

ETA: any of the Dilbert books by Scott Adams
    Berke Breathed's Bloom County comics
    Erin Hunter's Warriors series

Hope this helps --

Last edited by hip; 04/30/11 05:21 AM.
    DD10 recently finished Summerland and is now on Huckleberry Finn.

Other big favorites were the Redwall series and any biography of Civil, WWI or WWII soldiers.

Also The Giver and the Hunger Game series.

V
    V
    Artemis Fowl
    Eragon
    Hunger Games
    Guardians of Gahoole
    Silverwing, Sunwing, Darkwing, and other series by Kenneth Oppel
    Agatha Christie
    Smile by Raina Telgemeier (a really good comic with lots of text, esp. good for kids getting braces!)
    Tintin, Asterix
    Wrinkle in Time
    Hardy Boys
    Children of the Magic Lamp (PB Kerr)
    Cherub series by Robert Muchamore (somewhat violent, so check it out first)
    Narnia
    Animal Farm
    Lord of the Flies
    Ellen and Edgar
    Lemony Snickett series
    books by Gordon Korman (reading level is pretty basic, but some good stories that appeal to boys - there is a series about hockey)
    Jack London
    Young Samurai series by Chris Bradford (maybe a bit violent?)
    Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn
    (these last two would appeal to kids who likes manga and things Japanese)

oops have to go. I could add more later!

eta:
    The Last Apprentice series, Joseph Delaney
    Young Nicholas series, by Goscinny and Sempe (English trans. of Petit Nicolas. Kind of like a funnier, more intellectual diary of a wimpy kid).
    Sherlock Holmes
    Tom Sawyer
    To Kill a Mockingbird (couldn't get DS11 to read this one, but I bet other 10/11 yo might like it).

Last edited by Verona; 04/30/11 08:26 PM.
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by MidwestMom
    Would your DS like the Ranger's Apprentice series?

GREAT series!!! I really liked this, read the first one to check out for ds, but so far he has only read a bit --I really thought he'd love it. I ended up reading most of the rest of the series for my own enjoyment.

Last edited by chris1234; 04/30/11 10:14 AM.
    OP Offline
    thanks all, I am going out in a bit so no time to sift through all the suggestions, but at first glance, looks awesome. smile

A
    A
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula LeGuin.
    Any of Robert Heinlein's "juveniles"
    The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
    H.G. Wells
    We second the Isaac Asimov and Jack London recommendations.
    J.R.R. Tolkein
    If he liked Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead in the same series might be another one he would enjoy.

Originally Posted by chris1234
    Right now he is finishing Ender's Game, which I wondered about giving to him due to the violence, but he has not been freaked out by it, and very much enjoying it, so that is great.

There are about 8 books in the Ender's series - some more disturbing, but mostly not - I would recommend them all for a fairly thick-skinned 10 year old. Maybe read them yourself as he goes.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    i, myself, read the hunger games as did many other adults I know and we all LOVED it... however, it's a little disturbing and not sure all 10 year olds would be okay with reading it. AWESOME series though, just disturbing.

DC is 9, but read several of the books others have mentioned here last year. Right now, she is waiting for the 4th book in the secret series, by Pseudonymous Bosch. Read the 1 and a half last year, then decided to pick up the second book again this year and read both 2 and three and is waiting on 4 (on hold at library and local bookstore doesn't have it in stock right now.)
    She reads anything she can get her hands on.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM