Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #100871 04/29/11 07:35 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    When I dropped off ds5, I picked up his work from yesterday. The teacher said he told her the math was too easy, so she made a worksheet for him. He was adding 2 digit numbers for her (today she is going to do 3 digit numbers) . The problem is, all of a sudden he is starting to write his "2", "3" and "7" backwards. Is this normal for this age? My dd7 wrote a few letters backwards until recently.. so just curious if I should have this checked out

Thanks

Sheila

Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    When I dropped off ds5, I picked up his work from yesterday. The teacher said he told her the math was too easy, so she made a worksheet for him. He was adding 2 digit numbers for her (today she is going to do 3 digit numbers) . The problem is, all of a sudden he is starting to write his "2", "3" and "7" backwards. Is this normal for this age? My dd7 wrote a few letters backwards until recently.. so just curious if I should have this checked out

Thanks

Sheila

Hi Shelia

is normal, could be playing, could also be a problem smile It is too early to really be able to see dyslexia since kids learning do this all the time. I am dyslexic so hyper-paranoid about it - DS5 still does it also, not as frequently as he used to - definitely about repetition although he was more apt to do it with letters rather than numbers. Sometimes he reads numbers from right to left 13 as 31, but he is doing that less. But still given my history this could be an issue for him. But plenty of kids, gifted or not, do this for a while!

The playing part is where the giftie comes in - DS brought home a "code" he and grandma made - totally his idea - they wrote words mirror image so you need a mirror to read, and then then mixed up the letters to made the code harder. He learned about mirror image from his Bella mystery cards - the answer is on the bottom and you need a mirror to read it. But apparently wanting to do that is very gifty - other parents have noted that on the board. So he could be having normal issues, he could be showing signs of problems or he could have been having fun.

Short answer - watch it, but not hawklike - unless you get mom-gut tingles saying there is an issue. On the LD forum - I have posted about this and others - mich was very helpful to me about this stuff. smile I should try to dig out that thread for you - i'll see if I can find it!

DeHe

J
    J
    I have seen this before and my DD6 is still doing it. The school doesn't attempt to correct it and I agree totally.

This is completely normal from what I have seen. The only difference is the age at which a child will start doing these things correctly. I have never found a need to make them aware of mistakes involving rotating letters or re-ordering words in sentences.

There may be cases where this does not correct itself, but I haven't run into this. When my daughter started correctly saying her last mis-ordered phrase correctly, I was hoping she would continue it on for a while longer. It was just so cute.

B
    B
    Totally normal. I work with kids this age and a little older and it's a common thing. Also common with d's and b's. Nothing to worry about.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    lol he has "d" and "b" all figured out in a song he sings... circle and line is a d ... line then circle is a b

thank you all for reassuring me..

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 04/29/11 08:16 AM.
    [quote=frannieandejsmom]lol he has "d" and "b" all figured out in a song he sings... circle and line is a d ... line then circle is a b
    [quote]
    Great song, just remember that it assumes that the child has already internalized which side of the page letters 'start' on.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM