Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I haven't begun researching is yet, I thought I would ask here first.

We currently reside in Cleveland, Ohio. We are fortunate that my husband works from home and can work anywhere. We are hoping to move somewhere with a more favorable climate, and more schooling options for my eg gifted DS.

Any suggestions?

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    Cleveland has a school that specializes in gifted ed; currently there are several DYS and DYS-level students in the upper grades.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

ETA: If you want to get away from the weather there, though, I completely understand!

Last edited by hip; 04/29/11 05:41 AM. Reason: forgot something!
    Are you looking for moving no matter what? We are in a suburban district that has a great gifted program. It's an everyday thing not weekly pull outs. It has been a great balance for us. We have acceleration other classes. What age group are you at now?

You can certainly PM me as well.

Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, looking to move to better weather! We thought we should also look into areas with good school options.

He is age 4.5, on track to start k at a gifted charter this year. smile

Last edited by Amber; 04/29/11 07:48 AM.

I can understand the weather! We been asked to relocate several times. Here is a list of GT requirements by state.
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/StatePolicy.aspx

Only 6 are require GT and funding it. North Carolina is one of them, and it's on the chopping block there. I would really look into the politics going on. Many states have education funding on the chopping block and GT is often first to get axed. It would terrible to relocate only to have the funding pulled soon after you get there.
    We have refused to relocate 4 times in the last 8 years because of the GT programs. We have a wonderful school situation and have not been able to find replacements in new locations. Many schools have told us they have a program. It's often a pull out 1-3 times a week or just very minimal. We just haven't been able to find a replacement. I would really dig deeply into what they say is offered. Of course, we are not looking at any locations, but specific to where DH's company is located. We have live in 4 states and our current location is by far the best we've experienced. I know there are things out there and I'm sure others can help you find them in the warm and sunny places;)

The age can be tough. Many schools don't really do GT until older ages. They are focused on the social and emotional skills for the first couple of years. They also seem to want to wait to weed through the high achievers vs GT. It's frustrating when you have the GT kid. I know a lot people thought I must have sat in front of my DS with flashcards from birth. I didn't do any of that with him. He was reading at a 4th grade level at 4. Like flashcards or coaching him would have accomplished that! The right school will definitely recognize the difference between coached and GT.

Good Luck with your search. I miss my warm and sunny locations, sigh

Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you! North carolina is a big contender right now. I'm going to start looking into what they have. smile

Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Anyone else want to chime in? We are having a hard time finding a good match for us. We also have to get over the early enrollment hurdle, or find a great preschool for a kids who is probably ready for 2nd grade. LOL!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent