Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #100708 04/28/11 07:05 AM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    He did really well (i think) lol He more that qualified for their awards in Verbal (465/97%) and Math (486/99%) So, I hope he feels good about that. He has been bummed out lately because he doesn't have to try hard and does well anyway. I really need to sort things out for him *sigh*

Has anyone gone to a CTY awards ceremony? I don't know if they would have one in my state. When I went to the testing center they said they only get about 1 or 2 kids a year taking SCAT frown

B
    B
    Congratulations to your son. We've been to a SCAT awards ceremony at Boston University. It's pretty short and is done well. A speaker talked about the importance of education and discussed a recent scientific advance of social importance. Later each student was called up and given his/her certificate. Almost all the honorees were white, East Asian, or Indian, with comparable numbers in the threee groups.

A speaker said something like "You all are the best and the brightest and represent the hope for future progress." There have been discussions here about whether to tell gifted children they are smart. If you think it's a bad idea to call attention to intelligence, that would be a reason not to attend. I'm not worried about this, and we will likely attend again this year. My son did well on the SCAT again this year.

Last edited by Bostonian; 04/28/11 07:27 AM.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    I would LOVE to take him to an award ceremony! I HOPE they have one here. There is no NOT telling a kid like him he's smart, he'd think he's from Mars!! We had to show him the bell curve at one point. I think he would feel very proud to be honored for his intelligence. He complains that at school they award the kids that show "most improvement" or give attention to the kids that need help and ask questions. They don't have a monthly award for acing everything and not bothering the teacher frown

A
    OP Offline
    A
    i drive him an hour for Pokemon tournaments, I will gladly drive him an hour for that! lol

Yes, they have a day at the end of each quarter where 2 or 3 students in each class receive a badge and certificate, usually for showing improvement or doing great work. Then all those students get to have lunch with the principal who tells them to keep up the good work. My son got a 110 and 106 on his last science project and quiz - he has a 104 average in that class for the quarter so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get the badge this quarter frown That's something that is starting to really bother him.

I think you deserve an award badge for that one hour drive to Pokemon. Me too! (Magic the Gathering - your DS might want to look into it - it's hard!)

Actually I'd like a whole sash to sew the badges onto. Perhaps a seperate thread for possible badges?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    The ceremony was fine, they kept it short, which I appreciated.

Most important, it made my DS feel very happy. Getting a little recognition for doing well went a really long way, and knowing there were lots of other kids out there, even if he didn't know them, who also "like tests like that," seemed to give him a measure of comfort.

Bostonian, I am curious why you seem to think the racial composition of the children there is relevant in any meaningful way?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs