Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    what does that mean as an IQ number? DS took the SCAT test this week so I know the results are how he did compared to grade peers in the "top 5%" on other standerdized tests. But what does that mean? DS is more like a 1 or 2% kind of kid (mostly scoring >99.9%) So, I am just curious so i kinda have a better idea what the scores mean.

he is at a school that has a 130 minimum, no idea what % that is.

Any help?

A
    OP Offline
    A
    ack! so DS is definitely in the "above 99.9th%" ugh. What to do with him... having school issues again (after moving 1200 miles to try a different gifted school for a year)

considering homeschool... totally confused right now. is there any point to this SCAT test for him then? I wonder how he did lol He said it was easy.

i think i will post about our current issues if i can figure out with section to post in :|

A
    OP Offline
    A
    He is about to turn 10 in a couple of weeks. He's finishing 4th grade at an accelerated gifted school, so really he is finishing 5th grade and finishing 6th grade math for the 2nd time. the test he took was SCAT for 4th & 5th graders.

The SAT seems intimidating! I don't know anything about the ACT, will have to investigate. I think CTY would give him a chance to take the SAT or ACT next year. Duke TIP would let him take Explore at the end of next year and then (I think) the SAT the following year.

Is there an age or grade that the SAT or ACT is meant to test? I am going to go poke around the CTY and Duke sites...

thanks smile

C
    C
    My dd12 took the SAT at ages 10 and 11 (6th and 7th grade respectively b/c she is grade accelerated). She isn't a 99.9th kid and she did fine. It isn't as intimidating as it might sound smile .

A
    OP Offline
    A
    thanks! i just got his SCAT scores and (as usual) don't know what to make of them lol

Where did your son score in relation to the bell curve showing the talent search kids?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi Grinity, I don't know what you mean frown but his scores were Verbal: 465/97% and Math: 486/99% Looks like it was good enough in both for awards. He's in 4th grade but his scores seemed to qualify if he'd got them as a 5th or 6th grader too (does that make sense?)

I made a new thread hoping for some insight laugh

thanks!!

Last edited by JoAnna; 04/28/11 07:22 AM.
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    thanks Dottie, I know - it doens't mean anything lol But I am trying to figure out what to do and am so confused right now!!

JoAnna -
    I bumped up your original post - can you fill us in - here or there - as to what you've tried so far and what has worked well, what has worked a little, and what has just dismally failed. Also - what books have you read that helped you feel at ease, and what options are you considering for next year?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM