Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Forgot to mention A-Z Home's Cool, which has tons of articles and links to get you started, and Hoagie's Gifted which has great information on giftedness, including homeschooling gifted students.

C
    C
    I definitely recommend The Well Trained Mind and its forums.
    http://www.welltrainedmind.com/stor...nd-updated-10th-anniversary-edition.html
    1. I would consider copywork, narration, and dictation. Writing With Ease by Susan Wise Bauer is a good resource for this. I would also use these methods with science and history as well by keeping notebooks and doing the above with science and history as well.

2. I would do a meaty grammar program such as First Langauge Lessons by SWB. I also like Voyages in English by Loyala Press, Rod and Staff English, and K12 Langauge Arts Program.

3. I would do history with Story of the World by SWB with the activity guides with an emphasis on narration, dictation, copywork, and summaries as well as mapping. I would supplement with KIngfisher and Usbourne World History books and some living history novels/books. K12 history is also good.
    http://www.k12.com/courses/

3. I would do science with Kingfisher Science of DK Visual Science and notebooking. I also like Joy Hakim Story of Science series as well as K12 science and Singapore Science.

4. For math I would consider Singapore US Standards edition with supplements and guides as well as Math Mammoth.

https://www.singaporemath.com/Homeschool_s/60.htm

5. For spelling I would consider Megawords or Webster's Elementary Spelling 1908 edition with a whiteboard. I have also heard good things about Sequential Spelling. K12 has a good spelling program incorporated with its Language Arts.
    http://www.rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?sid=1302481756-1519252&q=megaword

6. For art, I would consider K12 art or one of many good art history books for kids. The National Gallery of Art has free videos for loan for just the expense of return mail.

7. For foreign language I would consider K12 powerspeak for immersion style learning. I would look at Memoria Press Prima Latina or Latina Christian or Classical Academic Press Latin for Children. There is also Elementary Spanish on Discovery Education United Streaming.

http://www.memoriapress.com/
    http://www.classicalacademicpress.com/

8. For handwriting I would consider Pentime Cursive or any other good cursive program.
    http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Pentime+Cursive+Grade+3/031227/1270669447-1022949

M
    M
    I didn't read all, so forgive me if someone suggested this already. What about an Eschool? In Novemeber we decided that K wasn't working for our ds in the public school. I had never given homeschooling a thought until we realized how miserable he was and what a poor fit the ps was for him. We enrolled him in an online charter school and he was immediately moved to 1st grade,where he has since just about finished the entire 1st grade year in just 5months and is able to work the rest of the year on whatever his heart desires. It's great b/c and all the materials and curriculum are provided at no cost and he's able to work at his own pace. They offer plenty of enrichment opporturnities as well.
    good luck.

Last edited by mom22boys; 04/11/11 06:59 PM.
    Classicsmom really outlined and entire curriculum for you there Mamma22Gs!

Anyway, I highly recommend ALEKS math. It is an excellent online math curriculum, grades 3 to college, with upper level science courses. They have a one month free trial which you can use to see if you like it. First, the child is given an assessment test, and then they have a 'pie' the pie will contain topics the student needs to learn, and the student can choose which topics he/she wants to work with. Only one question is presented at a time, which works great for kids who get overwhelmed with too much material at once, or get distracted. ALEKS does teach every topic, but if your kids don't get the material, they can supplement with Khan Academy or Hotmath.com

We also use THINKWELL, it is the math program that is used by John Hopkins CTY, but we buy directly from the company. This has a series of video lessons taught by Edward Burger, who's excellent, silly and funny (my kids love him). Thinkwell is grades 6 to college. Two week free trial there, for as many subjects/grades as you'd like.

Finally, Hotmath.com is a goldmine of math lessons (videos) they have a video membership for $29 per year.

Another incredibly great resource is BrainPop. Educational cartoon videos for grades 3-12, or brainpop jr. for grades k-4. Some videos are free, and they have a one week free trial.

I recommend that you take a few weeks in the summer to speed test various curriculum choices to see what works for you, and hopefully have settled when the school year starts. Try as much as you can get with free trials and library books, otherwise you may end up with dozens of different textbooks and workbooks that you won't be able to use (I don't have a linen closet-its full of the 'perfect' book, curriculum, workbook, which my kids have hated with a passion, or was too easy, or is still to hard, lol).

Wish you the best of luck! I've been homeschooling for four years, and with the exception of a few rough patches, wouldn't trade it for the world.

Wisdom begins with wonder. – Socrates
    E
    E
    Hoagies and A to Z, definitely.

When we homeschooled, we did not do any traditional boxed curricula. I wrote my own language arts work, based on my experiences as a writer, my frustrations and points of pride with the kids' abilities thus far, and a consultation with a family member who teaches incoming freshmen at Large Land-Grant University. We learned marine biology (because we live near the Gulf) and a lot of environmental science (because they wanted to), a little basic chemistry, and would have started biology this year had they not gone back to school. American history got incorportated into genealogy, or maybe it was the other way around. And they attended a co-op, where they learned how to play frisbee golf, make claymation movies, Norse mythology, and a lot of other artsy and not entirely academic stuff. Occasionally, we veered into unschooling, apparently more than I recognized at the time. And one of the kids did do online math, because he wanted to go faster and further than I was prepared to do with his sister.
    The point being that homeschooling at its best is when you make it suit your family and your needs. So yes, investigate everything that's out there, but don't get sucked into buying any one comprehensive curriculum because it's highly recommended. And if something doesn't work for you, don't feel obliged to continue on because you've started with it. Haunt your local educational supply shop. Have frequent school meetings, Talk to the kids about what's working and what isn't. My best advice is to give them a little of the power to decide what you do, and when (though not Ultimate Power Over Everything), because they get much more invested in what they're doing if they're helping to steer the course. Talk to them about what they want to be when they grow up, and let them investigate the steps in getting there. And if it's an option, you can also check out what the local public and private schools offer homeschoolers (in our case, and at varying times, music and gifted programs).
    Oh yeah: and my favorite homeschooling motto:
    "Give a child a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a child to fish and he'll eat forever. Teach a child to think and he won't have to eat fish."

Last edited by eldertree; 04/26/11 12:14 PM.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    Originally Posted by eldertree
    Oh yeah: and my favorite homeschooling motto:
    "Give a child a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a child to fish and he'll eat forever. Teach a child to think and he won't have to eat fish."

Oh I love that!

Originally Posted by eldertree
    ing m"Give a child a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a child to fish and he'll eat forever. Teach a child to think and he won't have to eat fish."."

Quote of the week!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    C
    C
    I do think I will be homeschooling one or both of my kids next year. The oldest will be a sixth grader. My plan is to have him do virtual school for Math, Science and Spanish. Those classes are free through the state. Also under consideration is another virtual school class called World Cultures but it is basically World History starting from the Ancient Period. I think he would enjoy it because he is Greek Mythology obsessed.

For Reading and Language Arts I thought the two of us could design our own curriculum with reading mythology the first half the year in prep for the National Mythology Exam and then novels typical for middle school students and novels of his own choice. I am a firm believer in just giving a kid time to read, holding a book discussion, letting him keep a reading response journal (to document the reading but nothing huge) and moving on to the next book.

And language arts mainly giving him time and space to write, teaching him to keep a writers notebook, write every day, and since he loves to write giving him the ability to without pressure (I have some ideas on what we would do and resources from children's authors who have written how to write books for kids) and maybe a vocabulary program that covers greek and latin roots (kinda keeping with the theme) that he could work on off and on throughout the year.

My youngest (will be in first grade) we are still waiting to hear if he got into the Spanish Immersion Program. If he doesn't get picked in the lottery then we will approach the school for subject acceleration...if they won't then it is just easier to homeschool him and do 4th grade reading with him and accelerate the rate of his math. The rest of his schooling I would probably let him help me design. Maybe Story of the World with him because his older brother would be studying the same time period.

Last edited by Claire2LilBears; 04/27/11 07:42 AM. Reason: clarity
    Y
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    Y
    Haha~~
    Beestar is also a great choice for homeschool. We have been using it. The exercises are full of all real life world problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. Plus, the math program is free all year long. grin
    Lisa

M
    M
    I am starting to gather info on home schooling for us - as a just in case. Honestly, although DS(4) is in a gifted pre school we are just not 100% convinced that it's going to always be a good fit. Right now we are about 90% sure that he is not encouraged to work at his own personal ability level and I am in a mental mess about everything right now. He starts back on Wednesday this week after a month's break and I am waiting to see what will happen. He and I had a great chat about him telling the teacher what he wants to do and work on, so we will see how that goes.

There is also the financial aspect. Next year we will have two kids in the school, and then a third to join them a few years later. Right now I am doing more teaching at home after school in the afternoons anyways so the only difference would be that I would be saving a whole boatload of cash if I did it at home - and this would free up cash for trips, outings, extra murals etc.

So yes please I'd love the Ultimate thread - all online resources can be used here too and I can share the ones I have found locally as well smile

Last edited by Madoosa; 05/02/11 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM