Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    nkh74 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    I called a child psychologist today who is very experienced in administrating the WISC IV, I thought I would use the scores to see if DS10 qualifies for the DYS program. His EXPLORE scores qualify and he does have a few things that I could put in the portfolio, but not too much and I'm not sure what they are looking for.

Is there any other reason to take this test other than applying for a program that asks for qualifying scores? Most schools like acheivement tests it seems...like ACT or MAPS, etc. Those also don't cost $500 I've also read that IQ tests are not really accurate or useful?

I doubt his scores will qualify for DYS but I feel like a bad mom for not even checking...if that makes any sense.

F
    F
    Nadia, I sent you a message the other day. Who is the tester?I have looked at a few in our area but havent called to check prices and such. We cant afford it so why get my hopesup. I would want to test both kids

M
    M
    Originally Posted by nkh74
    I called a child psychologist today who is very experienced in administrating the WISC IV, I thought I would use the scores to see if DS10 qualifies for the DYS program. His EXPLORE scores qualify and he does have a few things that I could put in the portfolio, but not too much and I'm not sure what they are looking for.

Is there any other reason to take this test other than applying for a program that asks for qualifying scores? Most schools like acheivement tests it seems...like ACT or MAPS, etc. Those also don't cost $500 I've also read that IQ tests are not really accurate or useful?

I doubt his scores will qualify for DYS but I feel like a bad mom for not even checking...if that makes any sense.

DH and I have been asking ourselves these same questions. Beyond applying for programs, I'd like to get a better idea of how much we should push DD10 - is she an MG student who is already achieving at or above her potential or is she an HG kid who is not particularly motivated and who needs more challenge to achieve her potential? Then again, I look at the cost and am not sure it's worth it compared to how many resources we could buy with the money.

N
    nkh74 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Midwest Mom, I hear you on the $$.

F&J'smom- there was a resource on here that listed the top 12 testers in the U.S. and one of them happens to be pretty close by. His name is Mark McKee: http://www.drmarkmckee.com/

J
    J
    Don't know if this is something other testers are willing to do, but the psychologist near us agreed to administer the test for $75 as long as all we wanted was the scores (no follow up, no analysis, no written report, etc.).

Also, ask about pre-doctrinal interns within the established practice. The tests can sometimes be free this way.

The only thing I'd worry about with testing by an intern is that it can block retesting with the same test in the short term (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), and interns may not be very good at testing gifted kids, as some actual psychologists aren't either. But those worries wouldn't deter me much, and since the OP sounds like she would like more info on a low budget, it might be a great option.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent