Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    I am trying to avoid struggling with him over doing things. as PassThePotatoes said, I know I hated to be watched doing things and all of that. I'm just really worried because I don't think I am providing him with ideas at his level. Mostly because I'm having trouble judging that. But the games could work, he is very motivated by games right now.

I'm going to have to think some more, but I am battling some sleep deprivation right now, so I might come back to it.

Thank you.
    Get some sleep GeoMamma! Make sure to use the tools in your self nurture kit. Remember that it will look smoother and less messy when you look back at it, but family life is so messy, and even with all of our ideas here, if just takes a while to get the hang of a particular kid at a particular stage!

Good news is that at age 4, they can look really terrible one week, and still respond to you making better choices amazingly quickly the next week. Your learning curve will be almost as rapid as his!

Love and more Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Something that may appeal to both an unschooling mama and her sneaky reader son is selecting some non-fiction books about whatever topics interest him. Look for ones with lots of pictures or diagrams. Offer to read them to him, but when you're not reading them together, make them easily accessible in places he might like to look at them without you around/noticing. His room, the car, even the bathroom.

My DS was reading very early, but did not like to read books aloud to us or in front of us. We read a chapter from a novel together at night, and sometimes he would read on ahead after he was supposed to be asleep, so we knew he was reading at a high level. But when we started getting books about space, which was his obsession at age 3-4, and he realized that reading could be a tool for gaining knowledge on his own he really began to be more comfortable with it.

OP Offline
    Okay, sorry about the delay, it's been a really full-on week this week. There are a lot of things going on right now for all of us and none of this is helping. It is too easy to just let it go for another day because it's another thing to do. Which is of course, not good enough - especially since that always makes things worse for later on in the day and the next day, etc.

I just wanted to say I don't think he has to do addition with counters or read or anything, they were just easy to understand examples of him avoiding effort. He seems to do the same thing with a lot of different areas.

So the plan?

Well, as I have said, structure and routine. I have always had a loose routine but we have always had to be very routine with DS. So we need to kick back into that. It's a pain though because he always fights it a little bit at first. So I have to find some energy for that somewhere.

So the first part is I need to get some self nurturing happening, yes. There are a few other signs that I need that anyway I have no idea how THAT is going to happen though. Sigh.

Part of that routine will be 'learning time' which will be not really lessons, but as many hands on activities as I can manage and find! Something like this style (http://www.homeschooldiner.com/guide/hands_on_learning.html). (Suggestions would be welcome!)We will also use radwild's reading of nonfiction books (something we always have done, but I'll ramp it up a bit!) and games. (Side question: How do I know if I'm aiming those things too hig or too low?)

I think I will try to find someone, a teen or something that can do something with him. I'm thinking maybe hands on science experiments or something. The stuff I am really struggling with at the moment. Is that what you meant, Grinity? We definitely need to create a community for him, and that is hard. But somehow it needs to be done. It's his personality.

I am currently trying to convince DH that interstate travel with a newborn is a good idea, LOL, to attend a conference. He is (understandably) skeptical.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    Good news is that at age 4, they can look really terrible one week, and still respond to you making better choices amazingly quickly the next week. Your learning curve will be almost as rapid as his!

I'm hanging on to that, Grinity!

I know that most you don't need to know all of this, but I need to put it in writing and I'm hoping sending my intentions out into the universe will help me actually find the energy to implement them smile

Thank you!

In the self care department, I've posted a few topics about meditation:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ditation_instructions_for.html#Post94674

is for teaching kids, but it works just fine for adults,

also

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ol_for_decreasing_anxiety.html#Post97630

As far as travel - ((red face)) I forgot you had a newborn on board! Opps! Maybe DH can take your DS4 and you can stay home with the baby?

There is a nice book called 'Dangerous Book for Boys' chock full of projects for boys - would be a good topic starter for a teen to work with your son. Also 'boyscout handbooks' are good references for hands on projects.

As far as not getting the level too low, you have to aim too high and go as slow as your son needs! Those U.S. Middle school text books are great for that. Seriously, a lot of thought has gone into those things to make the information accessible. see

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3ABiology%20-%20Study%20and%20teaching%20(Middle%20school)&page=1
    yum,yum!

Buy the cheap ones that are 5 years out of date!

love
    grinity

OP Offline
    Yes, I used to meditate. Then kids happened smile Seriously though, that is a good idea. I also like walking mediation, and as soon as I can walk again, I am going to do that again.

I think I need to spend a bit of money on some more books and games and things. I am having trouble getting past the mental block of getting middle school texts for a four year old. I know that's silly, but I can't help it! (Relatedly) I was looking at my old teaching books, looking for ideas and I ran across some great thematic and hands-on things I thought he would love. I had a little freak out when I realised they were aimed at 7/8 year olds!

I feel really fortunate that I have been able to really figure out better idea of what he needs and how I should approach this. It's been great. The last few days have been a lot better. Although, with all the projects etc we've been doing, my house is looking decidedly untidy! smile

At least it feels like slightly directed chaos, and that is a step up!

Originally Posted by Grinity
    As far as not getting the level too low, you have to aim too high and go as slow as your son needs! �Those U.S. Middle school text books are great for that. � Seriously, a lot of thought has gone into those things to make the information accessible. �see

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3ABiology%20-%20Study%20and%20teaching%20(Middle%20school)&page=1
    yum,yum!

Buy the cheap ones that are 5 years out of date!

love
    grinity

Good idea. �Those early learning programs don't even last long enough. :p
    Hooked on phonics pre-k, 1st, and kindergarten -down
    Reading eggs and Singapore 1B to go. �Well, mammoth math multiplication and a whiteboard, Draw Write Now and Handwriting Without Tears Cursive. �A couple of critical reading first grade workbooks. �I read the passages and read him the questions. �The Usborne Internet Linked dictionary of World History, �Just the fraction lesson from calculus by and for kids, so far. �
    I just keep a running list of lessons and work on one for a week-ish, or so, and then back onto another one for a while. �Really less than half an hour a day. �And nothing for the last 3 months of my recent pregnancy. ��

�I'll only sit with him through one lesson, other than that he's got free reign of the Internet on a kid-safe browser (kidzui is free with firefox) and reading eggs is one of his bookmarks. �Some phrases that sum it up for me are "creating a knowledge bank",& "kids work on one skill for a while, then put it on a back burner- it's still in there waiting for them to add to it.". Which totally takes the stress, expectations, and the time-frame completely out of the picture. �I just feed the beast (who here coined that phrase?). �

Also my guy is at that stage where he can almost read, but not good enough to read yet. �I seem to vaguely remember my own childhood, at a stage just barely past that when I could read but not fluently enough to enjoy it; I really enjoyed book and tapes. �I don't remember what, I just remember it was on a fisher-price record player with 45rpm little records with big holes in the middle. �So I just got the boy (scary) Shrek w/cd. �Which he has been wearing out, working out his own tracking and fluency, I'm sure.

One thing I trained him to do is play with stuff with many pieces, like magnetic mighty mind, or perfection, or operation by bringing them out at the dinner table while I'm cooking, showing an interest but really cultivating the habit of collecting, counting, checking and putting away all the pieces when you're done. �There's a time-limit built in with a reason to pick up the pieces.�

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    I am having trouble getting past the mental block of getting middle school texts for a four year old. I know that's silly, but I can't help it!
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Think of it this way - if you had an a Junior Encyclopedia on hand, and your 4yo had a question that was covered there, would you get if off the shelf to have a glance for a jumping off point? Todays Middle School textbooks are very similar to the Junior Encyclopedias we remember with such fondness. I wouldn't expect a 4 year old to use them in the same way that a middle school student might, but the pictures are wonderful, and the 'outline of what topics are included in this topic, and how the inter-relate' is terrific.

Hope that helps,
    Grinity

OP Offline
    That is a good way to think about it, Grinity! I will have a look through some books I already have, DH is a hoarder and he may still have some of his texts. I guess that's what a long weekend is for!

We can't really use textbooks much at all, La Texican. It meets with great resisitence and refusal to do it. We do use the computer a lot though - Starfall was a favourite for a while. Now it the amazing machine, gooballs, cool math, etc. I'll get DH onto the klidzui, thanks!

We are using a lot of resources picked from here and there and doing them in a fairly unstructured way. DH reads Story of the World and generally I do the craft things from there. We also do some of the Little City Kids Curriculum, although he is starting to outgrow that, but I keep it up for DS2.5 who is really starting to enjoy that sort of thing.

I am starting to make more Montessori materials, very slowly.

we have lots of puzzle books and things around, games and of course toys.

Oh! I'm just watching DS sitting on the floor near DH and DS2.5 and reading a book! It's only the labels in the book, but it is more than he has done much before.

Whoo hoo!

Last edited by GeoMamma; 04/21/11 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    OP Offline
    It got better, he started reasing some of the text, and it led to a big discussion with DH about the ways in which animals evolved. smile

P
    P
    Your situation is my dd4 right now. She refused to read with me but then she would let it slip here and there. And the other night she says to me, mom keep reading you left off at..whatever word it was. So I had a conversation with her about it and apparently she felt if she showed me that she could read that I wouldn't read to her anymore.

I found a great game idea, a spin off the memory game. Matching the picture to the word. After several cards and no errors, I think I'm onto something.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM