Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Has anyone tried Dr. Ruff's new online assessment?

I'm thinking about it and wondering if it will be very helpful or not. I'm hoping it would help me decide where to place my son gradewise next year in different subjects, and I'd like help knowing how fast he can go through grades. We are in a public homeschooling program and II really have the option to do whatever he needs. But I'm unsure of what that is.
    So I'm wanting to know if the test would be helpful and worth it for me.
    http://talentigniter.com/ruf-estimates

Hi Jenafur ! ((Waving Wildly!!))
    I like talent ignighter as a first step for folks who are still in 'gifted denial' - but like most IQ tests, it doesn't help with grade placement.

I would see if the program will allow you to give 'end of year' tests, or look at the 'scope and sequence' so you can see if he would have anything new to learn at the various levels of each subject.

If they won't, I'd look at some online Math Assesments, such as
    http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm

Language Arts is harder because Spelling could be at one level, handwriting at another, and Reading at a third level. But you can at least get an idea of what Reading level by using Lexile or whatever system your program uses to Google the title of some books your child is reading with the name of the reading rank system and see what level books your child is at.

For handwriting I like 'Handwriting without Tears' and you can see samples of their various levels at their website. I find their style of lined paper almost magical. If handwriting needs extra attention, I like their 'Print Tool' to analyze and teach a GT child what are the elements that make handwriting look pretty.

Enjoy!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Talent Igniter didn't help me because I did not have very detailed records of my son's milestones. I did the questionnaire last year when he was 7. All I could remember is that unlike most gifted kids, he wasn't captivated by jigsaw puzzles so I'm very sure that affected the outcome. When I tell people my son is asynchronus I mean asynchronus (tired) and this includes an inability to manipulate jigsaw puzzles because his fingers won't allow him to! I wish they'd asked questions like what books did he read at 4 or what words he could spell etc. smile And then design the software to analyze those answers. The suggested LOG was borderline 4 but that's all I got from it.

If you're looking for placement, I'd suggest (just from my own personal experience) to try either the CA Achievement Test (choose an above grade level test, order any time of the year from Family Learning Organization) or the Explore next year (or SAT/ACT), depending on your child's age. Again my personal opinion is that there are enough subtests in CAT and Explore to give you a good idea for placement. Good luck!

M
    M
    We did the LOG questionaire and I'm still not convinced we have a gifted child/children. I think we do and based on the results we do,but really, I just don't know. I guess it was worth the price to get the information.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years