Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 130 guests, and 100 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    On March 16 at 6.30pm there will be a start up meeting for a gifted association with a mission to have appropriate education for all students. We will be helping to secure funding for Gifted Education to continue. I also hope to be an association that is a resource for parents and can advocate for gifted/talented students. Juneau's funding for gifted eduction has been cut..... Our funding has not been cut but nor has it been increased with an expected increase of 200 students next year. I am requesting that anyone who is interested please come to the first meeting being held at the Starbucks conference room on Dimond across from Borders Books near the New Seward Highway. The conference room is free to use but we all should buy a drink.

Grinity-You've definitely helped inspire this!

Yippee! Go Loosemoose! Go Anchorage Gifties! Yippee!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks Grinity,

This is just a reminder about the upcoming Meeting (see the first post of this thread for more information.) Also Peter Ljubicich, the head of the Gifted Dept. for ASD is planning to attend our second or third meeting and talk with us! Please pass the word to anyone you may know who would be interested.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Another reminder about tomorrow's meeting. I also have noticed that there are people on the board from Bethel and Unalaska. As usual the meeting is originating in Anchorage. I did try and get APU to host the meeting but they wanted me to pay money, which at this point I can not afford to do. I am hoping at some point down the line we can get accommodations somewhere that would have teleconferencing or videoconferencing available that could help with the outlying areas. I have heard of successful experiences in the younger grades in the villages due to the fewer students it becomes more of a "one room schoolhouse" Although I doubt that is the case in either Bethel or Unalaska. I am also offering that if you come to Anchorage to let me know and maybe we can arrange a meeting when you are in town!

Wish us luck tomorrow. I have had a few inquiries from the various places I have posted and am expecting some people to show up!

Anyone have advice for a new group? I have the download from NAGC but personal experience is always welcome.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Well our first meeting was a first meeting! Nothing grand but it did happen. Our next meeting will be April 7 at 6.30 pm in the conference room at Starbucks on Dimond near Old Seward and across from Borders. We are trying to get the networking aspect of the association running. If you can not attend but know someone who might want to please pass the information on! Thank-you.

Yippee!
    here's hoping you find some like-minded parents to share the work and the fun soon!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Congrats loosemoose!

Just a thought about connecting downstate - since most have internet connections - how about skype? And there are online conference call makers. I don't know how much they cost to do I had to call into an 800 number and I got connected to a conference call. Just some thoughts, please ignore if you have already considered them!

DeHe

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello everyone, we had a great meeting in April. Peter Ljubicich (the supervisor of the gifted department of ASD) came to the meeting and discussed the program including some basics of the funding. After he left, we spent some time discussing various ways to deal with issues and just plain got some support for the challenges and blessings of raising gifted kids. Our next meeting will be May 5th at 6.30 pm in the Starbucks conference room off of Dimond and the New Seward Highway, across from the old Borders Book store. Funding is an issue and we need to create a group that can help safeguard funding for Gifted Programming. Our next meeting will focus on creating this kind of group, plans for get togethers over the summer holiday, and of course support.

Thanks DeHe for the suggestion - right now we do not even have a place to meet that has phone connection. I would love to see this association that desperately needs a name reach statewide. I also know how hard it is in this huge state to have anything be a statewide association. I almost think we need a main central one with off branches. The issues in the bush will be very different than those here in the huge metropolis of Anchorage. (population 300,000 or so)

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello and welcome back to school. I have just found out that there is a Parent Forum meeting tonight at the ASD (Anchorage School Department) building being put on by ASD. Sounds good with an overview of what the ASD gifted programs are and also something to do with Brain Science of Boys and Girls http://www.asdk12.org/depts/gifted/Parent_Forum.html.

As for a parent run organization our next meeting will be Thursday, Oct. 13 at 6.30pm in the conference room of the Starbucks on Dimond near the New Seward across from what use to be Borders Books.

Thanks everyone!

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello everyone, please join me for a meeting on January 26th at 7pm at the Starbucks Coffee shop on Dimond between the New Seward and the Old Seward Highway. Peter Ljubicich the head of the ASD gifted program will be joining us. This meeting is important as there are projected budget cuts amounting to almost twenty million dollars affecting all ASD programs. The gifted programs which include the ignite program have 98% of their funding directed towards personnel which means any cuts to the program affect quickly how many teachers are available for the program. I am no expert in budget issues. There will be opportunity for public hearing regarding the proposed budget cuts early in February. It is important for us to come up with a strategy and voice our concerns efficiently. Please join us and be active in this aspect of gifted programming for the ASD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM