FL runner,
You may want to consider the Stanford Binet 5 instead of the WPPSI.

My (now 14-year-old) son tested at 5.0 years on the prior version of the WPPSI, and found it insultingly easy at one year below the age limit. I heard the entire session as I sat in a room adjacent to the testing area. I too, was astonished by the �baby questions� the school psychologist asked my kid during a GIFTED evaluation (I guess he either didn�t make it to the tough questions or the current test is more difficult). Of course, it was not the retired school psychologist�s fault as ds was not old enough for the WISC and she wasn�t certified for the SB.

Although the results read moderately gifted (which surprised me given his lack of interest/effort), I knew they would be inaccurately low before the test ended. He asked at least as many questions of the tester as she asked him while alternating one and two somersaults before answering her simply questions only in order to continue with his follow-on questions for her! She was annoyed and determined that he was bright but immature. He was bored and confused by the lack of challenge (since I had told him it would be hard, but to do his best�.).

He was tested on the SB-4 by a PhD nearly a year later as we were seeking documentation to support a K skip. He landed DITD qualifying results then, which were validated approximately one and a half years later with WIAT scores (for inclusion with his YS application).

Anyway, that was our experience with the earlier version of each test. Best of luck with your decision.