Hi Everyone!
I'd be interested to hear from any of you who have moved long distances with your GT kids.
Our family is making a big move this summer (over the pond), and the kids are leaving the only place they have called home. Moving, I'm sure is stressful for many kids, and I'm sure mine will adapt relatively quickly - that famous resilience kids have.
I'm just looking at this though the eyes of a HG kid right now, and can't help but feel for him as he's thinking further ahead than I think most other 8 yr olds would. Here it is. (By the word confidence DS means - feeling like he 'fits').
DS8 is up and down about moving (very normal), is concerned about staying in contact with friends (again very normal), and worries that he won't feel "confident" in his new home/school (again very normal).
This is where it gets sad. He's worked out that he will eventually become confident in the new place, but in his opinion that means he will become less confident in the environment he knows now, and thinks it would be difficult to come back to, even though he thinks he will want to one day. This is what bothers him the most. To me this seems way to 'heavy' for a kid his age - weighing up his future like that.
I'm sure we'll work through this, but can't help be wonder if the GT side of his nature, makes this all the more difficult.