I met with DS�s teacher today for a regularly scheduled parent-teacher-student conference. I had been planning to tell her DS wouldn�t be returning after the April vacation. Now I am more confused than ever.

I'm a little confuddled now, and so will try to summarize the meeting later. But here are some points I can recall.

DT has been working hard crafting individualized instruction for him, and has found him not so easy to work with. She thinks there is a major disconnect between his abilites and his willingness to work hard. She has the sense she and others who work with him have been dancing around him trying to engage him, but he isn't willing to meet them halfway.

DT thinks: DS spends a great deal of energy trying to manipulate his situation so that he is either doing work he really wants to do, or work that is no effort.

She thinks lots of the kids in the class seek him out and like him, but that he is aloof. She found his complaint that he doesn't have friends difficult to understand. (he is new at the school)

We did talk about a full grade accleration with an additional accleration in math for Sept. (He's currently in a 3/4 classroom, and so there would be little point in changing his grae now, except to give him bragging rights, which would be counter-productive). There are three issues with that: 1. the class he would move into would be a 5/6 class, so at 9 he would be in class with 11 an even 12 year olds. 2. Even though he could be in a different class than his brother (who will be 6th grader) they would be in math class together. That might work out fine, but it might not. 3. The school is a charter, the lottery has already been held, and the open spots for fifth grade have been given to students already. Having said all this, I have followe up with an e-mail to the teacher and the principal to say we need to pursue this further, and give it real consideration.

DT really thinks DS is in some kind of psycholical turmoil. I just don't see it, but she seems convinced.

She said she thought the best place for him would be a school for highly gifted children. Indeed. I'd love to find that place.

She also said he's constantly on the lookout for next new fix of info--te next new thing, that he has an intense need for stimulation. When he gets someting new the thrill doesn't last, he doesn't want to stick with it and he is off looking for the next thing.

I am meeting with the asst. school superintendent Tuesday to see what options there are should we bring DS back to our public schools.

Thanks, as always, for reading this. Did I mention that my husband--the only other person who really "gets" our son--is i Libya and communications are horrible between here and there--sat phones are beyond staticy and electricity is erratic. If it weren't for this board I'd be speding the evening talking to myself.

Last edited by suzie; 04/15/11 05:32 AM.