My son, who just turned 9, is profoundly gifted in math, and profoundly unhappy in school.

There's a lot of background, as there is in every case. But briefly:

He was homeschooled for kindergarten while we lived abroad. In first grade he went to second grade for math, and met with a school volunteer (retired teacher) for enrichment. In second grade, he went to third for math and had some weekly enrichment. Midyear I began homeschooling him and his siblings (two school-aged; we also have a baby and a pre-schooler, as a result of both DS' constant requests and my inclinations.)

DH did not love homeschooling (he travels for months on end in his job; his main concern that it was too much on my plate, he now wants us to homeschool, at least through high school when the schools track in earnest) so we tried a charter. The charter made a lot of promises that have not panned out. The spirit is willing, but the school staff really isn't up to the task.

We've had meetings. We've had testing (Woodcock Johnson 135 broad reading; 150 broad math). We've thought about going back to our old school. (where we were heard and he was understood better, but where they lack the resources to do more than let him jump ahead a grade. the school stops at fourth grade so options next year are limited for 2012-13.)

DS has been frustrated for a very long time. I wish I had started homeschooling him in December when both DH were all gung-ho (we were also concerned about our oldest son who is a 5th grader at the charter and not being challenged). But we balked, and dragged thing out, so here we are.

The last straw: Last night DS told me that he feels bad for his teachers. "They seem like they try so hard to help me and to make me like school but I just can't. I'm trying, but it is so boring. The only thing I like is when I get to read to myself in the corner." The help seems to be math puzzles and randomly-selected difficult math problems with no instruction. There is a promise of a grant being written for instructional support for him for next year.

So now I'll try to form a question: what are my next steps? Do I get another set of tests done so he can qualify for the Young Scholars Program and/or Johns Hopkins? Will that help? Is there real support through those programs? Do I simply pull him out and resume homeschooling? (I do have well-thought out resources to do this, and a willingness. I just don't want to keep jerking everyone around.)

I have the sense there are wonderful resources out there for my son, but I feel overwhelmed everytime I settle down to research them. I am fearful I'm missing chances for him, and that he'll end up unprepared to work and learn with his intellectual peers, but too far beyond his local cohort to enjoy school here.

This is a huge post, and I'm grateful to anyone who has read this far.