Unfortunately in NJ the definition there is a mandate that your school must have a program for G&T. Unfortunately at this point a schoolwide enrichment program will suffice. Last year with budget cuts they wfere going to take away all 3 G&T teachers at the elementary schools but we fought and got back 1 1/2 (but Special Ed received even more - and please don't think I want it taken away - I just want our children to be looked at the same but in NJ Special Ed has such strict laws). At this point I have been told time and time again (and trust me I have been to every BOE meeting, spoken with every administrator) that the G&T program is enough for them.

So I just e-mailed the private school my son applied to and asked them to take his new score into consideration. So I'm hoping to hear back from them. So I am also going to apply to HEROES but I will need either the SCAT or EXPLORE scores. Just a quick question with all of these tests - do any of you ever get nervous to have your child take the tests because you don't think they are at the level to do well enough? Sometimes I think he isn't up to all of these kids' levels because I really don't have anyone to compare him with.

As for what I want for him: I know that in-class differentiation is definitely not the answer. Socially he is in a good spot so I wouldn't want a grade skip. I really would love to see acceleration in certain subjects (though it might have to be a few grades) and maybe even some kind of online interactive classroom programs or something off campus for the second half of the day. However, I don't know how to figure out how far advanced he is - can anyone tell me how they figured this out with their own child especially for acceleration and to take different grade level classes or college classes. And I know for sure that the school has no idea nor do they believe in any of it. I really feel I need some kind of advocate to help me. Grinity, do you know if someone from HEROES would talk to me even if I don't have my son's test scores yet? They are already getting ready to place the kids for next year.

HOW SAD THAT CERTAIN EDUCATORS DO NOT WANT TO HELP NURTURE THESE WONDERFULLY DIFFERENT CHILDREN WHO ARE OUR FUTURE. BUT I WON'T STOP TRYING - THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPPORT AND INFORMATION. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS!