Originally Posted by Dana29
everyone seems to want her to just enjoy being the "smart kid" in class, which is actually incredibly tedious to her. I have been in touch with the gifted coordinator for my state since she was 3 (and learned to read on her own) bc we knew since she was about 7 months old that she was different. I am not interested in pushing her to become some great scientist or something, I just want to see her actually feel challenged! Thanks again!
Keep plugging along and keep reading here - we've got great lines all worked out like:

"Why should all the other children learn good work ethic at this school except mine? That isn't fair!"

"Self Esteem doesn't come from doing 1000 easy tasks, I come from success after struggle with a task that looks daunting at the onset. Think back to your first chance to overcome a daunting task. Remember how you felt? I want that for my child?"

"Too many unchallenged gifted kids equate effortless with smart, and then later in their lives they finally met a challenge that isn't effortless and get totally demoralized and feel that they are no longer smart. I don't want that happening to MY child."

and, last but not least:
"I'm the parent, and I'll sign a waiver not to hold the school responsible for any bad effects from subject acceleration. As parent, I'm socialization is my domain. As a school, academic education is your domain. I'm doing my area - how about you do yours?"

Does your state have any regulations saying that schools have to teach children at their readiness level?

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com