IMHO is in my humble opinion - a good discription for this mom's perspective on the following:

Lack of tummy time in our house "didn't encourage" gross motor development. Later at age 7, the teachers were having meeting after meeting with us because he couldn't or wouldn't sit comfortably in his chair, and was like a floppy worm in circle time. 6 months of Occupational therapy privatly and through the school was like opening a door into a whole new world for him. He's still hoovering at average for age, but having so much more fun - learned to ride his bike at age 9! If he had gotten help when he was younger, I think it would have been even better, cause by age 7 he was less likely to see it as fun, and more as remediation.

There is a theory that gifted children have "extra sensitive" nervous systems in general. The same behavior (cranky at loud noises, tags on the backs of clothing, big smells, bright lights, etc. see book: Out-of-Sync child) is viewed by OTs as Sensory Integration Disorder, which they can treat. I thought that being picky about socks and tags was normal, since in my family, those behaviors are very common. What a pleasure that someone can help!

Would more tummy time have helped there? Don't know, but I think so. Or at least the same thing that caused him to hate tummy time would have been detected earlier. This seems to be what happened to my nephew who wasn't rolling over at 6 month.

Do I think it's a disorder or normal side effect of giftedness? - I don't care. I'm just thrilled that on a vacation DS10 recently slept on a bed that he described as "like sleeping on 100 tags!" but he was able to do it. Go DS10!

Smiles - Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com