I am dealing with a similar situation. I thought my 12-year-old son was going to break into tears when I told him I was thinking about signing up for a creative writing class with the co-op teacher he had for writing composition this year. My son managed to earn a 96 average in the class despite the three or four day a week migraines, dysgraphia and pain from a scoliosis brace that sometimes distracted him. He was going to doctor appointments and orthotic appointments at least once a week and sometimes dealing with bad news that kept him from being able to concentrate the rest of the day.

In that writing composition class, the first class he had ever taken that required writing, he found that he could write well. He seemed to enjoy writing and he definitely looked forward to getting the papers he had written back each week. He developed enough confidence this year that I noticed at his last musical theater class when the teacher put him in a group with two cute girls his age and told them they had to write a play together, instead of looking for a way to escape, he was smiling and ready to get to work on it. He now confidently shares his ideas and is no longer embarrassed by his handwriting. He is doing so well that I just assumed the creative writing class next year would not be a problem, but it is. He is saying things like don't you understand how hard it has been this year? Didn't I prove that I can do it? Why are you doing this to me? Can't I just have a break for once? He says all year long he has either been in pain or working on something that needed to be done by a deadline. There wasn't much time to do things he enjoyed. He wants to learn and work at his own pace without the stress.

So I am really struggling with this too and I know all about being tired of the struggle. My husband wants me to enroll him in at least one class for next year, but I don't know. I don't know if it is worth the struggle for both of us.

My son would also rather just work on grade level math. It is easy for him but I have to push him to do it because he just isn't as interested in math as he is everything else. I don't push him to do more in math. For my son I think it is enough for now.