Originally Posted by dagobbz
Also I'm concerned because our 2E teacher says that in all her experience (extensive), the kids with early speech problems like this were far more likely to have learning difficulties with reading/writing and they were more likely to have dyslexia. So I want to help my daughter now, obviously!
Do you think that the 2E teacher has much experience with kids as far into the gifted zone as your family members tend to be? If not, I'd take this idea with a grain of salt.

I think you are doing a wonderful job, and wish I had more specific guidance for you.

1) Are your son's score's high enough to apply to DYS - once you are in, you can ask those same questions about your daughter to the parent elists.

2) It sounds to me like your daughter loves to learn. I'm guessing that you are already encouraging her in her favorite learning topics as well, but felt that your post was long enough already. If not, just add to your to do list to look at what truely motivates your DD. Lots of Gifted kids are motivated by things that are atypical for their age, and unmotivated by things that are typical for their age.

((Possible example - we'll put a penny in the charity box for each time you say one of these 10 words the conventional way, then we can bring it to the sick children to buy them stuffed animals.))

3) Is it possible to check a child your daughter's age for CAPD? I'm guessing you've already had her hearing checked? I'm wondering if her hearing was muffled at the time she learned those words (perhaps she learned them in the uterus?)

So glad you posted! Keep us in your heart and let us know, ok?
love and more love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com