Originally Posted by Val
My son read Dune for school last year (6th grade), and AR and Lexile Levels both gave it a rating somewhere around a fifth-grade reading level. Anyone who's read Dune knows it wasn't written for fifth-graders. This kind of mismatch seems to happen more often with real books than with the industrial ones.
Val
Val, I'm jealous! My DS only got about a third into Dune and then lost interest shocked

But at least I can report that scholoastic's website's 'book wizard'

http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tb...matchallpartial&Ne=1314&Ntt=Dune

Dune
Grade Interest Level:9 - 12
Grade Level Equivalent:7.7
Scholastic Reading Counts! Quiz
Accelerated Reader Quiz

At Lexile's website I see Dune as 800L, but Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone at 880L - which I don't get at all!

I also found this interesting
8.Why is comprehension set at 75% with the Lexile Framework?
A primary use of Lexile measures is for forecasting how well readers will comprehend texts. A reader with a measure of 600L who is given a text measured at 600L is expected to have a 75% comprehension rate. This is the �default� setting within the Lexile Framework. This value was selected to ensure that when a text's measure matches a reader's measure, the reading experience is not so hard that the reader experiences frustration and loses the meaning-thread of the text, but is not so easy that the reader does not encounter any new vocabulary or sentence structures that help grow him or her as a reader.

So if your child read and understood 100% of a book, then they aren't judged to be at that Lexile level, if that makes sense...
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com