My 3rd grader is upset because her DIBELS scores are lower than some of her classmates. The emphasis the school/state puts on reading speed frustrates me because comprehension is so much more important. I tried to explain to DD that she reads 6th grade level books (and sometimes higher) and that's what's more important.

With all of this emphasis on speed, DD's teacher is still accusing DD of trying to finish her work first. She even told me in an email last week that DD's primary focus is finishing first. DD makes great grades and doesn't make careless mistakes, so what's the issue?

First, they emphasize speed with DIBELS. Then they want her to slow down with her work? Does this make sense at all? Has anyone else encountered such nonsense? I think it's time for a conference. DH will be out of town until mid-March, so I may be doing this alone. UGH!

BTW, DH and I crafted a letter to the school outlining the reasons we need to have DD tested. We have asked for them to test or for them to recommend someone for us to use privately. We figure, if they recommend someone, then they can't complain about the results. We're waiting for an answer.