Well - Here is an update and I am more confused than ever! I have a diagnosis for my son of Dyslexia, Dysgraphia and ADHD from a psychologist and of CAPD and SLI (Specific Language Impairment - is this the same as dyslexia?) from a Speech Language Pathologist.

The psychologist called the reading problems mild and the dysgraphia severe.

The SPL states that early speech therapy addressed phonological deficits which may account for DS 8's strong reading skills but that he has pervasive deficits of morphology, semantics and language pragmatics. He is very slow to respond orally and retrieve words. The SPL has recommended speech-language therapy.

DS 8 scored in the superior range on the Gray Oral Reading Test and well on the TOWRE. For a dyslexic child with this type of profile, is an Orton-Gillingham based reading method (like the Wilson Reading method) the correct approach?

The school is administering the CCTOP and has called a 504 meeting, but I have been told by the school that he will likely not qualify for the dyslexia program but will qualify for a 504 for an LD in Written Expression and Comprehension.

His pediatrician is reluctant to prescribes meds for the ADHD because of his sleep issues (caused by his tongue being too large - not his tonsils) and because she thinks the school needs to provide services and accommodations prior to trying meds.

My concern is that the school will only offer accommodations and not services for a child who is showing up to a 3 standard deviation spread between ability and achievement. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!