Originally Posted by Aimee Yermish
(2) In general, we don't think it's psychologically healthy to conceal important aspects of self from self or other. I don't think giftedness should be an exception to that. I'd rather see us be open with kids about all aspects of self, which can include thinking about how they might want to present themselves to others. But the point is that we shouldn't be telling them that being gifted means anything shameful or anything that belongs in the closet.

Ms. Yermish,

I have a question about the above point. There has been some discussion on this board about test scores and when or if you should reveal that information to the child. I, for some reason, lump the idea of telling my DD she is gifted into that same argument. My DD is 4.5 in age and I have stayed away from the term gifted because I don't want her to use it against her age mates. She already understands she is different and makes comments referencing these differences but I still hesitate to fill in the gap of understanding why. So my question is when do you think parents should have this conversation with their kids?