I could use some advice from those of you who have been here, done that about my DS9. We just received scores back from Explore and they were very strong. What was interesting was that while we have always pegged him as a mathy/science kid, he did equally well on the reading/English portions of Explore.

Yet. . . while he reads at a very high grade level (he is currently reading 1776) his writing is horrible. Not just his handwriting, but his writing. He writes as little as possible, makes no effort, etc. I honestly thought he had a hard time with reading comprehension as well, but his Explore scores suggest that is not a concern.

He did OT for a year to help with dysgraphia. It did help, and his actual handwriting has improved (if he makes an effort) and he is learning cursive and that is a big improvement for him as well. We let him keyboard his reports, etc. which also helps. But we just can't seem to get him to write even the minimum, and even that often brings tears of anger and frustration. He loves to learn, but doesn't seem to care if he can communicate his ideas (and I know he has a lot of them to share).

He complains a lot about the projects in school, and they are admittedly pretty boring. We thought perhaps we could find him an online writing class or writing workshop that would help him, if not become passionate, at least become engaged in writing. A couple hours of writing over the summer, when he has more time to sit and be creative, research in his own areas, etc. might at least help him along.

If you know of courses, programs, teachers, etc. Or just have words of wisdom to share, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks, Cat