Hmmmm-- that sounds rather like a modification/melding of WTM and Charlotte Mason methodology, L Texican. In noting that, do be aware that this may be a strategy that GT kiddos tolerate rather poorly. Mine really did NOT enjoy 'skimming the surface' only to have it reappear again in a year or so. It irritates her. Intensely. So much as I like that approach, it was one that I had to reluctantly give up, as least as it applies to EG/PG DD. IMMV, however. The didactic method in Charlotte Mason/Classical HSing was a huge hit with DD, I must say. She loves to talk. whistle

Usborne has a good "world history" book that we used when DD was about 5-6yo/2nd-3rd grade.
Some Charlotte Mason handbooks have reference lists which have a lot of good ideas for covering this same material, La Texican.

I agree that there are some distressingly subtle ethnocentric-religious perspectives fairly insidiously placed in CHOW, and while we have a copy (because my DD took this course as an elective through Calvert when she was 6), I can't say that I recommend it to secular humanist folks. At least not in isolation.

I also will say that I think both the Usborne and CHOW would be far, far too basic for most GT kids by age 8-9.

HTH!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.