If you have questions about any age restrictions regarding this in your state, here's a website.

Illinois lists age 14, but that is only for an "unreasonable" amount of time, and they look at 15 different factors when they decide what's unreasonable (like number of minors, ages, health conditions, weather, etc). I think that makes sense. 14 is probably when I'd feel fully confident that most kids could spend a 4-5 hour chunk of time alone, but somewhere between 11 and 13 is when I'd use the "common sense" approach - how good is MY kid in an emergency, how far away is help, what is the time of day, does he need to prepare meals, etc...
It didn't really come up with dd20 and dd18, because I had ds10 and ds8 as they entered the early teens, and between bedrest pregnancies and extended nursing, I never left home wink. Now, ds10 is turning 11 in April and maybe next school year is when I'll start. It is different, because my boys are two years apart but he is the older one (ds8 is there too). That makes it harder.
Can you do a class on first aid, or babysitting? Our park district actually offers a class called "home alone." Now, it's probably telling that the class is offered for 7-10 year olds, while 11-14 year olds get offered babysitting.
But, no way I'd have an 11 year old babysitting!
Theresa