Originally Posted by aculady
Passthepotatoes,

I absolutely agree that OT, PT, and teaching compensatory strategies should be a top priority for families with children who have motor issues, dysgraphia, perceptual deficits, and other input, processing, or output challenges.

It is great that you have been able to make such a strong commitment to getting your son therapies and that you have seen improvements. While we are not all going to end up in the same place with the same level of function, all progress is meaningful. Like your example of your son writing down the phone number, that is something that will make a difference in his life.

I wish I could say that your level of commitment is the norm, but unfortunately it isn't what always happens. I've seen quite a few families simply bowing out by for example embracing soft dysgraphia diagnoses for kids as young as six and seven as a sign that they should shift 100% over to keyboarding and not keep up continued efforts to build fine motor strength and skills. I hate to see doors closed like this.

There should be accommodations available and hopefully there will be as kids need them. However, even in the best environment that provides all of the accommodations the student requests, it can still be a rough road for students and these challenges do make daily life harder. Anything parents can do to get kids therapies and services to help them maximize what they can do will pay off down the road in keeping more options open for the child.