Originally Posted by Dottie
I'm confused by the two geometry classes. Who takes the honors high school class? Where do the GT 8th graders go after taking the 8th grade class? Do they in a sense "repeat" geometry for the honors level later? I would tend to choose GT kids over level of placement, but it sounds like both might be GT...hence my confusion, confused .

We were told the Honors Geometry at the High School is for kids with an A in Algebra I, an innate knack for Geometry, and teacher reccomendation/approval. The 8th graders that are ready for Geometry never re-take Geometry... thus my frustration. My son likes Geometry and is good at it and will never have the opportunity to take the honors class because it's just not offered to middle school kids, even if they can handle it.

After the 8th graders take the Geometry class at the middle school, they go to 9th grade and take Algebra II or Honors Algebra II. In 10th Grade they take Trig, in 11th - AP Calc I (for college cedit), and in 12th- AP Stats (for college credit.) If they continue to do well, of course.