I am new and looking for some help with intrepreting MAP scores.

My son (now 7th grade) has always been truly excellerated in math and science. I kind of avoided the whole "gifted" label thing in elementary school as he was getting extra work and was happy. To be honest, the competitive, pushy parents (many of whom had pretty average kids) were really pushing for "giftd" labels and kind of turned me off to the whole thing.

Anyway, fast forward to Middle school... they moved him to Pre-algebra in 6th grade after scoring very well on placement tests. Again, I never saw the need to seek a "Gifted" label. He's thrived and gotten A's on everything this year in Algebra. Considering a special knack for geometry, he would like to take honors geometry next year in 8th grade, which is not available at the Middle school. When asking if he could simply take the class at the High School next door, I've learned that since he is not labeled GT, certain services are not available to him, including an ALP (advanced learning plan) and counceling to be sure he's getting what he needs academically. Now I'm kind of kicking myself for not doing the GT thing when he was young. His math MAP test scores were 268 (range of 265-271) in the fall of 7th grade at age 12. The percentiles ranges were all in the 99%. Does this seem high enough to ask for the formal "GT" label now so he can receive services that I think he needs?