Mich, DS indeed doesn't cross the mid line. He eats with a spoon in either hand but rarely a fork and spoon in both hands. I'm not sure why nearly 3 years of weekly OT hasn't resolved this- we've changed therapists in any case. Will crossing the midline help significantly?

In my very layperson mind, I'm thinking that the right side of his brain is very wired up, and possibly his left side too. But they're not very wired to each other. He's very emotional, super imaginative and highly intuitive. He's also very good in languages and math, but they all seem to exist to serve his imaginary worlds. Probably because sports and movement requires coordination between both sides of the brain, he does poorly.

Lori, it does sound like your son has some mixed dominance as well since he's still ambidextrous. Maybe there are different outcomes for each individual, depending on the exact wiring for that person (mich's uncle is an example). Come to think of it, all my relatives who are ambidextrous have turned out to have fine careers, although no one is into sports.

I wonder if working actively to establish dominance will resolve some issues. Or create more...