Originally Posted by knute974
Well, today I got his Advanced Learning Plan in the mail from the school district's gt department? My daughters have these but they were developed by their teachers so I'm a little perplexed. It states that his teacher is responsible for accommodating his strength areas and identifies him as gifted in verbal quantitative and nonverbal. I guess that it is yet another reason to schedule a meeting.

@grinity -- I sent the teacher a long email (her preferred method of communication) and then met with the teacher about this issue. She wanted time to meet with her team and brainstorm. When I asked her for feedback the other day, she said that they "might do something different for reading groups" but nothing was definite yet. She did not give me a timeframe. I agree that I need to try the principal but I'm feeling beaten down right now.
It isn't fair that you need to be the squeaky wheel, but even though you don't feel like it (and I have been there!) get back on the field and speak!
When was this email?
When did the teacher say she 'might do something?'

Sometimes the best way to get motivated is to write up a timeline of events and get an overview.

If it is more than 2 weeks since your last email, then it's time to respond to the teacher, asking her about the ALP, thanking her for going to the team with this issue, and asking her what is the next step because your DS is so distressed. I would CC the gifted department who sent you the ALP letter and the principle. End with request for a meeting and heartfelt plea to help them help you get your dear boy off to Kindy in good spirits.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com