Treasuremapper: My son was diagnosed with autism when he was 2 1/2 and it wasn't til K that he was labelled gifted. He only had accommodations for autism in K and 1 (even though he was in the so-called accelerated 1st grade). We switched him to a school for the gifted (against all the experts advice) where he is a full grade accelerated and doing fabulously! This school emphasizes the gifts and accommodates for his autism in a very nice balance for the most part. There are a couple on campus who do not "get" him...his direct manner of speaking and his poor eye contact make him appear disobedient...but his teacher is incredible. We are very lucky this year. This school goes all the way to grade 12, so we may never have to switch schools again!!!!

Anyway, my point is that exceptionally gifted and autism can work in a school, but you have to advocate like crazy! With your DDs scores, can you apply to DYS? If I could ever find a minute, I plan to do that because I think they would be good advocates. I've been putting it off because everything is going so well this year. Good luck! Nan