All the documentation you are providing sounds very sufficient. Will the school offer any placement tests? Perhaps you may also consider having your son demonstrate proficiency by taking EPGY math course? You can get into an Open Enrollment EPGY group which will allow you to take a math course at grade level of your choosing, including 7th (pre-algebra) and Beginning Algebra - for $135 a year, after Jan, it will likely be prorated. It will record percent correct by different strands, so you would be able to show his proficiency.

We were having to make the same math placement decision this summer, with DD going to MS for 6th. (I think I may have posted about it then). In her case, the choice was either pre-Algebra or Algebra and she took the test offered at school to place into Algebra, which she passed. She already had 6th grade math in 5th, since her elementary school covered curriculum 1-2 years ahead, so basically she skipped Pre-Algebra only. She is doing very well in algebra now, so in her case, it worked, but I have to say, I did my best ensuring she was really ready, and not be accelerating just for the sake of it. I had her complete the EPGY 6th curriculum, which allowed her to fill some gaps not studied in school, my goal was to have her complete EPGY 7th (pre-Algebra) too, but alas, that didn't happen since she went away for the summer. I also had her take the CTY math placement quiz for pre-algebra and algebra which we were able to download for free. (her school grades, SCAT scores and standardized test were all very, very good). Call me paranoid, but I had heard too many stories about kids moving ahead in math and then running into problems later, so I wanted to cover my basis. Indeed, there are kids in her class, who also had the 6th grade math in 5th and passed the Algebra placement but are now really struggling in Algebra - maybe it is developmental or that they weren't fully solid, but it is sad to see kids struggling so much, when they could have taken pre-Algebra, then graduated into Algebra better prepared, since that still puts them 1-year ahead.

Just some thoughts, as you consider what is the best for your DS....best of luck!

Last edited by mominsac; 12/17/10 12:28 AM.