Originally Posted by AlexsMom
I'm trying to come up with a syllable that contains more (or fewer!) than one vowel sound, with no success.

ETA: Wikipedia says there's no vowel sound in bird (or similarly-middled words), at least according to some linguists, so there are arguably no-vowel-sound syllables. I think I take the dissenting side on that one, though.

What vowel sound do you make when you say "bird" in addition to the R sound, out of curiosity? I just make the R sound.

There are probably a lot of words out there, e.g. "purpler", "rattling", etc., that contain syllables without any vowels / vowel sounds no matter how you define such things. I'm guessing intuitively, as an overly opinionated layman who's too lazy to do real linguistic research on the weekend, that there would be a lot of words with multiple vowel sounds in the same syllable too-- what about "quiet"?

I guess that, going by the school that think "bird" has no vowel sound, that "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" might be considered to have thirteen vowel sounds. It's all over my head. "He's interested in linguistics" seems accurate, though, and it certainly does look like an interesting field, in a nitpicky sort of way. smile

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick