My son was/is the same way (age 6). He always flip=flopped back and forth and I wasn't sure if he was a righty or a lefty until about age 4. Then, it was his grip that kept switching, as if it wasn't comfortable. He has a come a LONG way, though still has a ways to go, but... your child, being 5, and a boy, the fine motor skills are still lagging compared to many girls at this age. While I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that there is a disability involved, but rather, the amount of time spent writing up until this age, hasn't been very much. One thing that is important is to sit down with the child and verbally talk through the writing technique. Make sure he isn't switching grips mid way through. Find a grip and stick with it. Then practice, practice, practice. Use the lined handwriting paper and remind him to make the letters touch the bottom line etc. Talk him through the strokes... go around, up, and back down, etc. Where a child starts forming his letters makes a huge difference in the outcome as well. If you can make sure, for example, that the letter A is started at the upper, slightly to the right part of the circle, go around and form the circle, then back down for the stick, it will eventually form well, where as some children at this age start at the bottom and go counter clockwise, then pick up and try to put on a stick and it's not attached, the circle isn't closed etc. Those little tricks can make a HUGE difference. Ask the teacher if she has a copy of one of the handwriting stroke pages and use that as a guide to talk the child through the letters. Hang in there!